What interface/mixer for PC

shutupandshave

Currently I have a digi001 and a super massive teac/tascam m15 (24 track 70's desk - this one used to belong to Phil Collins apparently)...
The desk is ridiculous and is far too complicated for me to use...

What I thought I was after was a 16 track desk (nice pre's), with 8 of those outputs coming out through lightpipe so I could get 16 tracks into my digi001, but then I started thinking about it and thought that if I am selling the desk I could well sell the card too, and get something that is a little more appropriate.

I think I like the idea of not having to fiddle with controls inside the box all the time, from a tactile point of view - but I am quite happy at leaving the signal in the box.

So is there any 16 track type mixing desk/soundcard combo's where I can use either a control surface/desk and it will change the values within the software (which software that would be, I am not so sure) at the same time, ideally with 16 reasonable pre's? It can be more (24 inputs) but ideally not less than 12.

Pretty good price eh? Well if that's too rich for your blood check out the Yamaha O1V96V2. I thinks thats about as close as you can get to getting the amount of pre's / inputs you want and still be completely integrated for protools or nuendo.

Ouch, I was thinking maybe £1000 total, and this looks like the setup is going to be closer to £2000 (card + desk). It DOES look very nice though.

Do you know if this can record 16 or just 8 tracks simultaneously.

I see it has an adat out, but I dont see any documentation about how many line outs it has for recording?

I notice you have the 002 with control surface? Is that essentially an 8 channel version of what I'm after?

I have 14 XLR cables coming in from my live room, and a look to set everything up so it's always there and plugged in, hence I'd quite like that many inputs always available.

Perhaps I could use an AD/DA converter for drums and use the first 8 of the 002 for everything else... That's kind of what I have at the moment though... but without the integrated control surface.

There's an argument that I am unlikely to need to fiddle with my drum mics once they're set up so I can just set those up and leave them, but on the other hand - maybe I will want too...

edit:
I'm assuming the control surface comes with more than the standard 4 pre's for some reason, but I dont think it does?

I wonder if in fact, a simple pro-tools optimised control surface, an octopre/Digimax LT and another 6 pre-amps from somewhere, would not be more appropriate.

I can get a bunch of crap for the time being and just check the whole thing works and really get used to it.

The 01V96 V2 looks really nice, but I'd want to upgrade to a digi002 first I imagine (else I'd need two pre's, but then I guess there'd be value in having a couple of golden channels....) and it's very expensive.

I can get a couple of cheap pre-amps, a BCF1000 and an ada8000, then upgrade when I'm feeling more confident with knowing exactly what I need.

Then I can resell those, lose a bit of money and get maybe a mackie control universal, Tascam US-2400 and some decent pre's or a 01V96

Back