What if your a songwriter...

Sleddog72

hey,
any tips if your a songwriter and not a performing artist? I love sitting down on the piano and composing songs or grabbing the guitar and singing away till the wee hours of the morning rather than practising the same songs over and over and over....anyways...and over...heh..so what i do now is I write songs, record them at home as perfect as i can. then i go into a studio and have an SE listen to it...and then i record the best ones. plop 'em on a cd and ship to publishers...cuz thats what im after...a publishing deal....any tips on selling your music to publishers?

It's a tough business even if you're really good. Major labels have archives of songs they've purchased from songwriters with proven track records. Where do you think the songs come from for artists like say "Kelly Clarkson" I mean she may write for all I know but I'm betting that the record company has a whole group of people looking over their inventory of music for songs to go on her next album.

I'll relate a personal story to you that may help. I worked for a few months as a road manager for a relatively well know artist. She was a great talent but didn't write that much. I was very impressed by one thing she did. Every night on the road wherever we were playing after the performance there was the usual rush of folks trying to get backstage to meet her or say hello. Among them usually there was a songwriter with a tape of songs. She invariably allowed them back and gratiously accepted the tape or whatever they had. I can't swear to it but I'll bet she listened to every song!

Rusty K

Back