What i hope my setup to be like

spikey

Hello all,

I'm a new member, i had visited this forum a couple times as a visitor, so i figured it was time to join, lots of usefull stuff here. Anyways, to get to my post.. i am planning on setting up a small studio, for my band, and other small bands looking for cheap recording, and a nice place with friendly people to do it. i hope to have it completed in 2-3 years, i plan to buy my equipment first, because my band will make good use of it even though we wont have a studio for it, but i thought i would show you my list of what i hope to have, and by the way, the building im hoping to put this in is like a small modular building, which will be mobile, and hopefully easily sound proofed, any feedback would be awsome, thanks guys.

the list:

mixer/recorder workstation: korg d3200 32-track digi recording studio ($1,299.00)

guitar mic's: shure sm57(x2) ($179.98)

drum mics: nady dmk - 7 drum mic package ($179.99)

mic cords: mogami silver series mic cables (x10) ($199.90)

audio monitors: m-audio studio pro 3 professional desktop audio monitors ($99.99)

head phones: nady qh-660 (x6(buy 1 get one free)) ($149.97)

vocals mic: behringer b-1 large diaphragm cardiod condensor mic ($99.99)

desk: k-mart desk ($59.99)

sound-proofing: foam bed mats (74x77" = $17.99)

futon: k-mart futon ($299.99)

control room chair: k-mart chair ($49.99)

studio wheeled chairs: k-mart chairs (x2) ($79.99)

bass amp: behringer bx1200 ultrabass 120w 1x12 combo ($199.99)

drum kit: pulse double bass 8-piece drum set with hardware ($499.99)

cymbal pack: zildjan zxt rock pack with free 14" china and cymbal bag ($299.99)

building: self built ($10,000(hopefully))

GRAND TOTAL: $13,408.79

RICK FITZPATRICK said:
Well, I hate to burst your bubble, but FOAM is NOT soundproofing by any stretch of the imagination. Mass is what it takes, and lots of it.

I cruise for fat chicks. They seem to do the best job at providing the mass in my studio.

Okay okay, they are just plain fun!

Thunder33 said:
I cruise for fat chicks. They seem to do the best job at providing the mass in my studio.

Okay okay, they are just plain fun!

"SAVE THE WHALES"..................................."HARPOON A FAT CHICK"... :eek: :D

Hi spikey. All joking aside, Rick is right - the foam bed mats aren't gonna provide soundproofing. If you're serious about building a studio, be sure you spend plenty of time reading about the subject. Start by cruising through the numerous threads here in the studio building and display, and follow the links to other websites and such on the subject. There are a lot of common misconceptions that people have when they are first starting out and I can understand why. Heck, I actually saw an article in the newspaper this morning talking about a young kid who had built a "hip-hop studio" in his Mom's basement. The article talked about how this guy had "sound-proofed" this studio using egg cartons. With sources like this, it's easy to understand why newcomers often have the wrong idea. My best recommendation is before you start sinking serious money into anything, do your research. I think you'll find this site an outstanding source for anything you could ever want to know about studios, gear and recording. So welcome, and good luck!

Not only is the foam bed mattress material not doing anything for soundproofing but you're also creating a fire hazard. There's just no point in risking your safety like that.

Actually, this brings up a really good idea. I think I'm going to write a letter to the editor of The Wisconsin State Journal (where I live) and warn people against using stupid materials to "soundproof" their practice space, and also attempt to dispell the myths about soundproofing. I've been published in the news paper about 4 times in the last couple years for various other topics, and this one is important to me. I don't know if they'll publish this one, but I think it's worth a shot.

If you really want effective sound proofing, you are going to have to start saving your egg crates. Either that, or you can buy the material in bulk from places.

Cover your walls with the stuff, but try and create paterns of placement that work well with what kind of microphone polar patterns you use. That's more for acoustical coloring, but for strict sound proofing-(which you will definately get out of egg crate, and its cheap!)- try and cover as much wall as you can.

You can even double or triple layer, if you want to add broadband absorption.

Also, the egg crates will start to reek bad sometimes (you know, when you let that egg crack in the crate), so it's a good idea to light scented candles and/or incense sticks in front of every wall that is covered with egg crate. Try and get the candles/incense as close as possible, as this will allow maximum scent absorption.

good luck!

I would skip the drum kit, drum mics, and bass cab.
Look on ebay and get some better sutff used for less money.

Also don't waste your money on the mogami cables.

stalemayte said:
If you really want effective sound proofing, you are going to have to start saving your egg crates. Cover your walls with the stuf. You can even double or triple layer, if you want to add broadband absorption.
Also, the egg crates will start to reek bad sometimes (you know, when you let that egg crack in the crate), so it's a good idea to light scented candles and/or incense sticks in front of every wall that is covered with egg crate. Try and get the candles/incense as close as possible, as this will allow maximum scent absorption.

Ok, just for the record, he's being sarcastic!!!!! Do not do this!!!!! WTF are you trying to do here man? Kill someone? For Christ's sake!!! A little irresponsible if you ask me. Newbies can't always sense sarcasm if it's something they've actually heard done before, like idiots covering their walls in egg cartons. Can you take rep points away from someone?

stalemayte said:
If you really want effective sound proofing, you are going to have to start saving your egg crates. Either that, or you can buy the material in bulk from places.

Cover your walls with the stuff, but try and create paterns of placement that work well with what kind of microphone polar patterns you use. That's more for acoustical coloring, but for strict sound proofing-(which you will definately get out of egg crate, and its cheap!)- try and cover as much wall as you can.

You can even double or triple layer, if you want to add broadband absorption.

good luck!

lol that's a law suit waiting to happen!

Creamyapples1 said:
lol that's a law suit waiting to happen!

I've been looking for a way to bring this board down ever since I joined!

(just kidding mods. I've got nothing but true love for homerecording.com bbs)

SonicClang said:
Ok, just for the record, he's being sarcastic!!!!! Do not do this!!!!! WTF are you trying to do here man? Kill someone? For Christ's sake!!! A little irresponsible if you ask me. Newbies can't always sense sarcasm if it's something they've actually heard done before, like idiots covering their walls in egg cartons. Can you take rep points away from someone?

Alright, I misunderstood his post.

With the balance of his budget, I assumed he was trying to either kill himself, or burn it all down to ash; and reap some sweet insurance gain.

You know guys, what I got out of his post is that he's obviously new to the world of recording, but very enthused and looking for people to share his ideas with. The guys only 15 years old, and could use some reasonable advice. Come on, every one of us was new at this at one point (I wish I would have started this at 15 years old myself, as now 25 years later I might actually know what I was doing). I bet that not one of us knew when starting out what gear we would need, or how to properly soundproof or treat a room. It took research, and helpful advice from people who had been there and done that. Now joking is just in fun, but I get the impression that some of you are just jumping down this guys throat - instead of being helpful you are probably just being discouraging. Why don't we try being helpful and welcoming to people like this - that way instead of the guy getting discouraged, saying screw this board, and trying to construct a studio out of cardboard and egg crates, perhaps he'll have a chance to learn something and in the process we'll all make a new friend.

Hey, I'm being helpful. Telling someone he's created a fire hazard could come in real handy if you want to maybe say, live. :) And I told the idiot to shut up about telling him to use egg crates.

SonicClang said:
Hey, I'm being helpful. Telling someone he's created a fire hazard could come in real handy if you want to maybe say, live. :) And I told the idiot to shut up about telling him to use egg crates.

I know sonic; my comments weren't in any way referring to you. Certainly we want the fellow to consider the possibility of fire hazard when choosing his construction methods. I was really referring to the guys who were jumping down his throat about his plans, and/or turning things into a big joke. I just think it'd be nice if we all tried to be more helpful and friendly, particularly with the newcomers.

Back