What I Have Learned About Buying Guitars

groucho

So recently I finally got together the bread to upgrade from my piece of shit generic C-Series dog-ass pawnshop electric guitar I've been whanging on for years. I've spent many an hour trolling through the forum here, learning a great deal about you good people (and occasionally learning *from* you as well - heh).

I've spent 2 weeks going to every music store in the greater SF Bay Area in search of the Telecaster that had Mine writ on it. I was prepared to ante up for an American, was willing to settle for a decent Mexican or Japanese, had no thought of even stooping to a Squire.

What happened? I played so many Teles, they began to blur together in a dreamy swirl of maple and chrome. EVERY damn Tele I played had something that kept it from being The One.

Finally, in despair I slumped down in the corner of Zone Music in Cotati, figuring I'd have to start combing the pawnshops or flea markets or something.

Just to keep blood in my fingers I grabbed a guitar from the rack and started noodling. Suddenly my heart leapt! THIS was the feel I'd been trying to find. The tone, the snap, the action, the LOVE, people! I plugged it in and played the living daylights out of it. No rattling, buzzing, weird dead spots, and the thing stayed in PERFECT freakin' tune after an hour of my abuse.

20 minutes later (and about $600 less than I was willing to spend) I was on my way.... with a SQUIRE STANDARD TELE.

I couldn't believe it myself. Every guy in the shop played the damn thing too, and it was damn hard to get it out of the hands of whoever was playing it. They kept shaking their heads and mumbling "well, I guess sometimes one squeaks through..."

I actually had to forcibly remove the guitar from the hands of the tech dude who did a little setup for me (it didn't need much). He was cranking out blues licks with a crazed imbecilic smile on his unshaven face.

So...

The lessons I have learned about buying guitars are as follows:

1) There is no consumer product in the world with less consistent quality than the electric guitar. No two are the same, and it doesn't matter what the damn name is on the label. It's still a crap shoot whether you get what you want.

2) Nothing anyone says on an internet forum (or anywhere else) about "which guitar is good and which guitar sucks" means doodly-squat. There's lots of great info to be gleaned on forums like this. Which guitar you should buy is NOT among that info. Don't even ask. Don't.

3) Anyone who buys a guitar sight-unseen - on Ebay or any online store, is a fool.

for that matter:

4) Anyone who gets a used sight-unseen guitar from a total stranger on ebay for like, $30 less than they could get a NEW one (most of the people on ebay fall into this category) is a really big fool.

5) If you don't treat the guy behind the counter like the ignorant jerk you suspect he is, he will do lots of things for you free of charge. He will set up your new guitar without charging you the $50 he lays on the other suckers. He will throw in free strings when the manager's head is turned. Why? Because from his point of view, we guitar players are know-it-all condescending assholes who play the same stale fucking licks over and over and treat the store staff like peasants. And he's damn grateful when someone shows him a *hint* of respect.

Having said all that...

6) Anyone who works at Guitar Center is dumber than a fucking rock. Period.

That's it. Time to *play*.

Cheers,
Chris

groucho said:
S

2) Nothing anyone says on an internet forum (or anywhere else) about "which guitar is good and which guitar sucks" means doodly-squat. There's lots of great info to be gleaned on forums like this. Which guitar you should buy is NOT among that info. Don't even ask. Don't.

I do believe this is what I have been saying all along. You did it right. Play `em all, and let God (you) sort them out.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

That's similar to how I ended up with my Peavey Raptor! After having dropped my old strat several years prior I got tired of having to beat on the volume pot to make sound come back when it dropped out. Coupled with the loud buzzing from the messed up bridge pick up I was ready to move on. I went to the local music store with no intention on buying another strat. I already had one and I wanted to play something different for a change. So I played every OTHER guitar in the place, hating most and the few I liked I didn't like enough to buy. It was almost time for me to leave for work and since I had just wasted 2 hours I figured I might as well play the 1 guitar I had not intended on even touching. It was love at first strum! From that first chord I new I had to have it! It had the sound and feel I wanted! It also had a twin hanging on the wall next to it so I tried that one too. It was not as good. Probably just need new strings and a few adjustments but her sister was perfect! So I took her home with me! She's been my favorite ever since.

groucho said:
3) Anyone who buys a guitar sight-unseen - on Ebay or any online store, is a fool.

4) Anyone who gets a used sight-unseen guitar from a total stranger on ebay for like, $30 less than they could get a NEW one (most of the people on ebay fall into this category) is a really big fool.

I beg to differ with #3. I've been playing long enough to admit to myself that I don't own any instruments, I just rent them. The cost of rental is the difference between what I pay and what I sell for, less commissions (and the interest on the money, but let's keep this simple). If I buy used & sell on eBay, that's about a net 7% of the used value. If I buy new & sell on eBay, that's quite a lot more. If the instrument is a dog, then just resell it.

I have no argument with #4. I'll only pay 50-60% of retail.

mshilarious said:
I beg to differ with #3.

As my sophomore English teacher said 25 years ago...it's only when you know the rules can you get away with breaking them. As long as you realize it's a calculated risk and are willing to accept that, you're not (necessarily) a fool.

I gotta disagree too.

That idea may very well apply to production instruments, but I don't think it's a fair assessment of special order pieces, even from the largest builders.

I don't think it gives luthier's enough credit for the work they are capable of doing.

c7sus said:
I gotta disagree too.

That idea may very well apply to production instruments, but I don't think it's a fair assessment of special order pieces, even from the largest builders.

Fair enough. I was being a *tad* cheeky with that one.:) All I really meant was that you can't know much about how a guitar actually plays by reading a description and squinting at a blurry photo.

However, if you're willing to take the gamble I'm sure it can pay off from time to time.

Chris

I share the exact same philosophies as you Groucho. I would never and I mean NEVER buy anything like this off of Ebay. I have a friend who baught a Vox AC30 on Ebay, and the one he got sounds a lot more compressed then the normal Vox AC30. It just shows you how much amps differ like guitars.

I've always believed in finding "the one" guitar and amp. I did find the metal guitar of my dreams, a nuno bettencourt model with an oil finish, played like a god. I also found the jazz guitar of my dreams, a Gretsch that was sold before the next time I visited Guitar Center.

Nuno was only 400 bucks but I couldn't come up with the money :( and the Gretsh was 2,200 so I couldn't buy it.

I still have yet to find the one. I'm sure someday one will come someday that is just right for me, and will satisfy my every style.

I'm just glad I've found this Bogner Shiva.

Funny, my friend actually replaced his squire pickups with Bill Lawrence single coils, and got a new neck, and now it's a really good guitar. You never know I tell you, you never know.

By the way, Congradulations!

same thing happened to me... sorta... i used to have an ibanez rg270. hated it... and was considering buying a new guitar. at the time i didnt have enough money... so i wasn't really looking for a new one. i wasn't planning on getting ibanez because i was kinda pissed off with mine. then i saw this ibanez sz520. it looked ugly to me at the time... but i wasnt in the mood for playing, so for some reason i picked it up. i fell in love... but i thought, i dont want to make the mistake of buying a crappy guitar again. so i waited a week, playing all sorts of guitars, then tried the sz520 again and was in love again. it was so easy to play, had such a meaty tone (pretty good stock pickups too). so i traded it for my old ibanez. ive had this new one for around 6 months now... and im still in love with it. it plays so nice.

moral to the story is, play guitars before you buy them, even if you dont like the look of them. the look has grown on me too. it looks like a prs. ive been told its a copy of a prs... and if so, i can see why prs guitars are so liked. but i got a piece of prs heaven without having to spend a few grand. :D

i dont know if i got a lucky one like your lucky tele you found... but its cool you found it for that cheap!

Well, 2 days later and no hidden flaws have appeared. I had *no* idea guitar playing could be this fun. I wake up, stagger over and start playing before I'm even awake. What joy!

I haven't even been able to put the thing down long enough to *record* anything, which was the main reason I decided I needed a new axe.

Life don't get better than this.:)

And yeah, the fact that it was so cheap kinda makes me feel like I've cheated the universe. Major freakin' plus. And now I have enough left over for a new preamp.

Chris

Back