What happens when you put 24bit song onto cd?

robbocop

I've just found out songs have to be dithered down to 16 bit for cd,s.What 'should' happen if i try to put a 24bit song onto a cd?.I've just done it and what i got was really strange.All quality settings were set correctly,i exported it as an MP3 so there wasnt' an option for bringing it down to 16bit.What happened was i put the mp3 onto a cd,played it in the car on a brand new mp3 player in my car with great speakers etc,the sound was weird,the bass sounds were crackling even at low volumes when i played back the cd?It was just bassy sounding,muffled,some of the clean guitar sounds were fine but i don't understand how there can be any distortion on the song when it's ok on everything else i've played it on?It sounded like the speakers were breaking up in the car?

A 24 bit song will typically not play at all on most CD players. I'm not sure what happens though with MP3s, but that could definitely be related to your crappy playback. What program are you using? First of all I wouldn't render directly to MP3. Second, when you render it, set it to 16 bit. Third, it's not hard to put a dither plugin on the master buss.

I've just found out songs have to be dithered down to 16 bit for cd,s.What 'should' happen if i try to put a 24bit song onto a cd?...
As for this part basically you'd be making a data disk, not CD Audio.
For the MP3, don't know. You have the option to go from project to mp3 export? -it should go?

the extra bits just get truncated. no a big deal really but dithering is def the way to go as it simulates the same quality as 24bit theoretically...

I always find it hard to hear the difference in these small details tho.

First, why are you exporting it to mp3? A CD place a 16 bit 44.1k pcm file (wav)

Once you export it to an mp3, it is no longer 24 bit. It also sounds like crap.

If you make an audio CD from mp3's, something is converting the mp3's back to PCM audio files and then putting them on the disc in an audio CD format. It would be the same as the music CDs you buy at the store to listen to.

If you are making a data CD, it is just a CD with mp3 files on it. It sould be the same thing as making a CD with doc files or html files.

So, you have a few things to work out.

1. Are you tying to make a data disc with mp3's on it?
2. Are you trying to make an audio disc that can be played in any CD player?
3. Should you be exporting mp3's or wav's?
4. Are you skipping the mastering process on purpose?

Back