What happens to hardware inserts in mac Aggregate devices

dogbox

Hi guys,
just awaiting delivery of an older mac mini to play around with aggregate devices and make use of some my older interfaces. One of the devices i have is a behringer fca1616 that has 8 ins, 8 outs plus 8 dedicated inserts. Will the inserts a) function ok in an aggregate, or b) will they not be recognised at all...or some other option c) where they are seen as extra outputs or something??? anyone tried aggregating an interface with dedicated inserts before?
Just wondering..
Cheers..

Hi,
The devices in your aggregate device should function exactly the way they did as normal devices except that the OS, and your software suites, will see them as one instead of many.

Inserts generally aren't seen as inputs or outputs by software.
Assuming that's the case under normal usage, it'll also be the case as part of an aggregate device.

If your device is the exception where the inserts are normally seen as IO by the software,
then that will be the case when your device is part of an aggregate too.

Hi,
The devices in your aggregate device should function exactly the way they did as normal devices except that the OS, and your software suites, will see them as one instead of many.

Inserts generally aren't seen as inputs or outputs by software.
Assuming that's the case under normal usage, it'll also be the case as part of an aggregate device.

If your device is the exception where the inserts are normally seen as IO by the software,
then that will be the case when your device is part of an aggregate too.
thanks..yeah they aern't recognised. I half think it's a gimmick, these are included on my behringer fca1616 (8 inserts). At first, it seems to be a great deal. The reality though, its next to useless as a feature on an interface. Unlike a mixer where you normally use an insert on a channel as audio is being streamed from external device, say a computer, tape machine, or even a live band...you apply the insert effect as required. But the problem is, in a daw situation these inserts can only be applied to the source, as your recording...so you have to print the effect immediately as you record. I only use Reaper, so can't comment on other daws, but they have a really good system for handing external insert effects...a plugin called ReaInsert. ReaInsert requires you to use regular outputs/sends and regular inputs/returns that most Audio Interface have. The Reainsert plugin does not work if you try and use a interface that has actual hardware inserts, because just like a standard mixer channel that has an insert and requires a special cable TRS to Y split TS-TS....all means nothing in most daws because they they are geared to looking at device I/O, an output and an Input, i.e 2 physical jacks and not the singular jack that an actual insert uses.
So the only use i have for my 8 inserts, i can use 1 for bass guitar running into an external compressor...thats about the only thing i don't mind printing as I record as part of the bass sound. I believe Behringer have these gimmick inserts on their current line of umc interfaces. No doubt there are plenty of happy customers who have many creative uses, in live setups they like to record with effects embedded...they are probably very happy. They aern't a hindrance or coming at the cost of loosing other features. this fca 1616 is an incredible box...has 4 preamps on the front, each with a switch for high pass and line/mic input, phantom etc, 4 line inputs on the back, 8 insert, 8 outputs...hybrid usb and firewire and adat and spdif...and it sounds great. The fact Behringer went and added them to the UMC line straight after the fca line..maybe most people know something i don't...haha probably the case

Back