What happens if you run phantom through mics that don't need it (ie. Dynamics)?

TripleJ

What happens?

I am looking at buying the small Yamaha 10/2 and it has 4 mic pre-amps with switchable phantom.

I am looking at getting condensors but only have dynamics at the moment. The switchable power is for all channels - you cannot set it individually.

So yeah what would happen if I ran +48v phantom through dynamics.

Yeah, it's totally safe.

I have read that you should turn off phantom power while plugging & unplugging mics. Something about potentially shorting the +48V to ground. Dunno if that's true, but I abide by it since it's no big deal.

Also, kill the output channels when you switch on the phantom power, or you can get a loud audible pop.

The fine print: it won't hurt low impedance mics using two conductors and shield.

If the cable uses XLR connectors on both ends you are OK. It would be odd to find a balanced cable using XLR on the mic end, and TRS (tip-ring-shield) on the other end, but that is still OK.

Do NOT apply phantom power to mics having a 1/4" TS (tip-shield = mono) connector on the cable.

bgavin said:
Do NOT apply phantom power to mics having a 1/4" TS (tip-shield = mono) connector on the cable.

Very true. However, note that since you'll plug such a mic into the unbalanced 1/4" TS jack (and not the XLR jack) on your mixer, that jack does not supply phantom power and is thus still safe. You'd have to use an adaptor between the mic & the XLR jack to cause a problem.

Moral of the story: Don't use mics without XLR connectors. They are usually pretty cheap mics anyway.

You've trashed every dynamic you've plugged into a board with phantom power. I recommend that you box up all your dynamics and send them to me for proper disposal.

That goes for everyone reading this thread. All of you box up your dynamics, and I'll make sure that they get disposed of properly....I know, it's a lot of work, but I'm a big fan of this board, and it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make for my fellow posters.

:D

Back