What happened to the 3 yr warranty on new HDD's?

bvdd

I checked out HD's at Best Buy and Staples yesterday, and was very disappointed to see only a 1 year warranty on all new Maxtor and WD drives.
When did this change from 3 years warranty?

Or could it be just that those outlets no longer give the best warranty and we now have to buy them directly from the mfr or at least online ..?

Thanx
Bill

I believe Samsung still offers a 3 year warranty on their drives ... I recently purchased 2 120 gig ATA 133's that came with a 3 year warranty.

-Edit ... bought on-line

Due to restructure in market changes and new approaches and present situation,some have decided to reduce guarantee from 3 years to 1 single year.

This reflects their desire to save some money, but quality will be even higher to most of the big players. My Raptor WD offers 5 years, some SCSI drives the same.

But money is made in domain of general sale so this is just temporary dismay, don’t be alarmed by this. If you wish to sleep like a baby go Seagate. If you wish performance but
don't need that much rest go WD,Maxtor,Hitachi. :cool:

In either way don’t worry ;)

Most drive manufacturers (I forget which ones are an exception, if any) have reduced their retail drives to 1 year warranties. You can still get the exact same drive with a 3-year warranty if you buy an OEM-style drive from an online retailer.

Back