What gauge strings for drop A#?

Guitarfreak585

I'm wanting to do a drop A# tuning for my cover band so we can cover some Breaking Benjamin stuff, and so I can play the Red in my spare time haha. I'll worry about whether the amp can handle it when I get the guitar (which hopefully I will soon) and if it wont then I'll just have a cool backup guitar haha. But I dont have any idea where to start with the tuning. I already use the skinny top heavy bottoms on my normal guitar which is in drop C, so another step down I know they're not gonna be enough. Even most 7 string sets stop around a .58 or .59. Is that gonna be enough?

I'm wanting to do a drop A# tuning for my cover band so we can cover some Breaking Benjamin stuff, and so I can play the Red in my spare time haha. I'll worry about whether the amp can handle it when I get the guitar (which hopefully I will soon) and if it wont then I'll just have a cool backup guitar haha. But I dont have any idea where to start with the tuning. I already use the skinny top heavy bottoms on my normal guitar which is in drop C, so another step down I know they're not gonna be enough. Even most 7 string sets stop around a .58 or .59. Is that gonna be enough?

Yeah that should cover you

And, this might seem unbelievable, but you can probably even find a better quality guitar for less money :eek:

But what matters is what you want.
For instance: I could get kool aid. or i could get great value drink mix. i get great value because i want to and i prefer. price doesnt matter. i even get it on the off time that it costs more than kool aid during specials.

On a sidenote, I was looking at that guitar about 3-4 years ago. It was 299 then.
Until I played one. then I ended up getting a dean zx which felt much better in my hands.

Esp doesnt make an explorer body style between that one and the american made one except for the 401ex. But the only difference between that one and what i posted is aesthetic. And the American made one lists for 1500 bucks which im not spending on a guitar i may not play a whole lot or that may just be a backup. My current guitar is an M1000 which i love. But im not dropping it to A# with the floyd rose on it.

But im sticking with ESP. I want the EMGS in it, and i havent played one yet that i just didnt like. That was just a great price on it.

I hear ya, I have 3 EC1000's myself, love the guitars. If your dead set on one, just make sure you get one from in store that you can try and make sure there's no stupid blemishes, electronic issues, or cracks in the body. The indonesian built LTDs have about the worst quality you can ever imagine.

I dunno I've never played one I didnt like while keeping in consideration the price tag, lol. The 360 should be fine I think. I had thought about getting the V too, but at that price tag i just cant ignore the explorer body style. Either way, I want an "extreme" shape like a V or an explorer, with EMGs preferably, hard tail bridge, no bolt on necks which I dont think will be a problem in these styles. I had found a few Gibson Vs on ebay for around 5 or 6 hundred that was interesting. Dunno if theyd deliver the sound I want though. Not doing an Epiphone though. Might as well get the LTD if I'm looking at an Epiphone. They'll at least have the EMGs.

first rule of guitar buying (unless you just have a shit ton of money and even then). Always go try out a guitar before you buy, and if it's in store it will generally be properly setup, and prepped to be sold. You never know what your going to get when your order something from a warehouse or from at shitty factory like indonesia with very poor quality control.

Very unfortunately for me, no one within 300 miles of me is an ESP dealer. No small stores, all the way up to Guitar Center carries them unless they're used. However, I'm confident in my guitar tech here in town that he could take a guitar and make it play pretty well. Its the best of a bad situation. Yes ideally I'd go play two or three different axes and pick the best, but I can't.

Very unfortunately for me, no one within 300 miles of me is an ESP dealer. No small stores, all the way up to Guitar Center carries them unless they're used. However, I'm confident in my guitar tech here in town that he could take a guitar and make it play pretty well. Its the best of a bad situation. Yes ideally I'd go play two or three different axes and pick the best, but I can't.

You sir, probably have the best scenario ever. Play man, just play.......

:D

Back