What format do you like?

Capokid

I don't know if I am posting in the right place, but I have a question.

What type of format do you like for recoding?

Yes, I know it is completely subjective but that is exactally what I want - opinions. Maybe a few reasons as to why you like the format you do.

I dig both. Pro Tools rocks my world. A good set up you can rock hard! Adat, I can dig it. 2 inch, must be set up well because is so fickle, but it too rocks.

I like like recording thru channel strips direct to my computer in wav files at 24-bit, 48 KHz, using Cool Edit Pro.

How about you?

Right now I don't have much experience. That is kind of why I was asking. I have a Tascam Porta7 (from years ago) & a Roland VS-840 that really isn't working right now (got that about 4 years ago).

I am beginning to look into recording using something other than the low end porta studios.

I don't really know where to start, what I need yet and so forth.

I thought a good place to start would be to decide on a format, so I asked for your input.

Wally,
How much does pro-tools cost and what else would I need (for my computer) to get that going?

Dobro,
Same question as above (cost etc.) And when you say channel strips do you mean a mixer?

Forgive my ignorance and thanks for any and all your help.

What is your budget? If you have a decent computer a DAW would work well. As for pro tools, it isn't cheap. The didi 001 is a soundcard with 8 analog, 10 digital inputs with pro tools le software (which limits you to 24 tracks) runs around $750-800. As for full blown pro tools. $10,000 for the software. Let us know your budget and we'll help you out!

The budget itself is subject to changes. Although it would be nice to keep it around a couple grand.

P.S. Current Computer:

AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1Ghz chip
Abit KTA7-A Raid Motherboard
256mb memory (easily and cost effectively upgradable)
Creative Labs Soundblaster Live Platinum 5.1

I like the all-in-one studios a lot because I'm just trying to write fairly simple songs and I don't need all the capabilities of a full-blown studio. The stand-alone recorders make some compromises as far as the built-in mixer, number of aux sends, number and quality of the built-in preamps, etc. Where they can excel is portability, ease of use getting it set up to record, and built-in effects.

I have the Akai DPS16 and it sells for around $1600 US. If someone would have told you 10 years ago that you could get a 16 track digital recorder with 2 effects processors for that price, you would have asked him for a drug test. :)

I recommend subscribing to as many magazines as you can and reading everything you can get your hands on. There really isn't THAT much to learn but everything seems kind of confusing when you are just getting into digital recording. I'm still confused.... but I was born that way.

I see four main formats, probably two of which are for homers:

1 Computer recording: you can get a really good-sounding soundcard with as many ins/outs as you need, plus good software, for not too much money, especially if you already have the computer. Eg - Delta Omni Studio + Cool Edit Pro. Downside: it isn't very portable, and you have to get things to work with each other.

2 Standalone hard disk recorder: convenient, cuz everything works right out of the box. Downsides: for me, they have features which I don't need/want, but still have to pay for. The ones that *do* have the sound quality I want cost a bomb.

3 ADAT, like Misterqcue said: until recently a standard in pro engineering circles (the ADAT, not mrque :D). If engineers use it, it's good enough quality for anyone. :) Downside: expensive, and ADATs need regular servicing. Downside #2: engineers are shifting toward hard disk recording more and more. Upside: therefore, ADATs are falling in price.

4 Recording to tape: the old Tascam stuff is noisy, and the pro stuff is *way* beyond your budget.

I went the computer route because I had a computer. Then for a while I yearned for a standalone recorder because of the convenience. Now, I've decided computer recording's the way to go for me when I look at how much I'd have to pay to get the standalone I want compared to what I've already got.

Suggestion: you can get a relatively cheap soundcard (Soundblaster?) and cheap software (n-Track), and try computer recording to see if it suits you. If you like it, upgrade; if you don't, you haven't lost much money.

Damn, I forgot about your question. A channel strip is a box that contains (usually) a preamp, a compressor and EQ. Very useful for getting the sound you want direct to your recorder. Eliminates the need for a mixer if you do your mixing in software. Downside: they're a bit pricey, but check out the thread in this forum about the Joemeek VC6Q - it's a channel strip, and falling in price. You need one channel strip for each track you record. If you do only one track at a time, you need one channel strip. If you do 8 mics on a drumkit, you'd do better to get a mixer with built-in preamps.

Nicely put Dobro, I could not disagree with any of it. I used to have a 8 channel open reel deck, I upgraded to a DAW for the same reasons as Dobro. Plus it helps that I know a lot more about PCs than I do about recording :D

I'm a big fan of computer recording. Like many on this site, over the course of about 20 years I've gone from a 4 track porta studio (cassette) to 8 track 1/4" (open reel) to ADAT to computer.

Each step served my purpose and needs at that time. If I would have jumped right into a full computer set-up from the start I would have been very intimidated. Candidly, I learned a lot about smart recording technique by trying to get a good sound out of a 4 track casstte - these skills helped as I progressed through the various formats.

The format anyone uses at any given time has to be dictated by need and budget. If you need portability and ease of use - an all in one unit would be a logical choice. If you need the ability to expand do more complex tracking/editing a coumputer may be better.

I like the computers ability to grow, you can start with a pretty basic setup and move up to ProTools (or whatever) as the need and budget allows. Some people argue that computers are prone to crash, but any machine requires some maintenance and is subject to break-down (even a porta studio).

I'm a hardware guy. I just don't like PC/Mac music software. It just seems like most of the time you have to fight it to make it do what you want. ReBirth is an exception to that...

So I'm using an 8-track R2R and a 16-ch Boss mixer.
I was planning on getting a new mixer in maybe a year or so, but good mixers are the same high price, while HD portas continue to get cheaper, so I expect that I'll probably go to a 16-track HD porta instead, maybe in a year.

So I'm not an analog freak, i'm just a hardware freak.

No, can somebody find me a cheap 8-track pattern based MIDI sequencer, with some kind of backup, like a floppy?

yay. I like computer recording too... so flexible.
My supernova and drumbox through my behringer mx2642 and into my computer.
I have a hoontech soundcard and i'm gonna get one of the new dsp24 cards they make. Professional sound in my own basement... ohlala
I also use it to record mix sessions so i can tell which tracks i should stay the hell away from mixing together.

I think I slid a bit off the track here, but...

Chriss said:
I have a hoontech soundcard and i'm gonna get one of the new dsp24 cards they make. Professional sound in my own basement... ohlala
I wouldn't count on that - I have a ST DSP24 Value and the inputs are quite noisy. I really didn't notice that before I bought an external converter & preamp (Mindprint DI-port) and compared the sound coming into the digital inputs versus the analog inputs. When comparing the two, there was a notable amount of hiss coming from the analogs, while the digitals are very quiet. It's a good product, but not outstanding really. Plus, I can't get Win2K to install the drivers for it.

yeah i've heard about that problem, but last time i went to their site they had new 2000 drivers up.
It's a matter of value for the money i think. The card i have now is tremendous value for 80£. I can play as many audio programs at a time as i like, and i have digital input and output... maybe A/D converter would be a good idea? To from my behringer to my digital in?

PRO TOOLS FREE.

Buy a decent soundcard (SoundBlaster Live, etc.) and you can get a fully functional (with track limits) version of Pro Tools for free. They have a free version called, appropriately, Pro Tools Free. It does up to 8 tracks of audio and 48 tracks of MIDI, and comes with the basic plugins you need.

www.digidesign.com/ptfree

Back