What exactly is a song's "pad"?

Wk2000

I have a friend who is always talking about different songs' "pads", or about adding a "synth pad." What does this mean?

Well....

I found this on line.......

attenuator or attenuator pad Electronics. A passive network that reduces the voltage (or power) level of a signal with negligible distortion, but with insertion loss. Often a purely resistive network, although any combination of inductors, resistors and capacitors are possible, a pad may also provide impedance matching. [Compare with fader and crossfader.] Pads are referred to by the topology of the network formed, with the two most common being an L-pad and a T-pad:

L-pad A two-leg network shaped like an inverted, backward letter "L". It usually consists of two resistors that are fixed or adjustable. A true variable L-pad consists of two variable potentiometers that are ganged (tied) together. The ganged sections work to provide either a constant input or a constant output impedance regardless of the attenuation setting. Since modern analog audio electronic circuits consist of stages characterized by very high input and very low output impedances, the term is now broaden to include all L-shaped networks without the requirement of providing constant impedance to the source or load. Volume and level controls are common examples.
T-pad A three-leg network shaped like the letter "T". It usually consists of three resistors that are fixed or adjustable. A true variable T-pad consists of two or three variable potentiometers that are ganged (tied) together. The ganged sections work to provide either a constant input or a constant output impedance regardless of the attenuation setting. Since modern analog audio electronic circuits consist of stages characterized by very high input and very low output impedances, the term is now broaden to include all T-shaped networks without the requirement of providing constant impedance to the source or load.

Pretty technical.....

Here is the Dictionary site ....I do not know if this is correct or not...maybe someone else would know.

A synth pad is usually a light airy sound, such as ahhs, or strings, that go in a mix to make it sound full. The pad is usually very subtle and kept low in the mix and is basically undetectable by non musicians. Then again I dont know my ass from my elbow and may be totally full of shit.;)

Joro, what I'm talking about is an actual section or phrase of music, rather than a hardware device.

As you point out, an L pad is used to lower volume without changing impedance. They are commonly used to control the volume for different pairs of speakers being driven by a single amplifier.

As dragonworks said, a pad (also referred to often as a "synth pad") is a music track (or tracks) that add a sonic texture under the more dominate melodic and rhythmic tracks.

Although normally oohs, aahs or string sounds, it could be an organ part or any sound that would tend to be fuller chords vs. arpeggiated parts. Pad sounds are most common in ballads or as "atmosphere sounds" in techno type music.

Best example of pads that I can think of...

Anything by Enya.

She uses almost nothing BUT pads.

Her first record was pretty much a demo for the Roland D50, and a very good textbook lesson on how to use all the basic pad types.
And I suppose the Moody Blues 'days of future passed' era could be considered a good example of tons of pads used in the pre-digital sampling age.

I wonder if they were named to 'pad out' a song? Like in the old days (pre mellotron) when people actually went 'oooooh' to 'fill out' song mixes?

I dont know how anyone kept those mellotrons working but they still sound great today. Moody Blues are one of my favorite bands, the original that is. Very interesting chord progressions.:cool:

dragonworks, I hear ya. I've seen them go for sky-high prices online, but aside from collectors I don't know why anybody would bother.

Has anyone checked out any Mellotron samples? Not to plug (besided, I don't have it yet, anyway :) ) but www.sonicimplants.com has a set of samples for $25 that, to my ear, sound pretty good.

Eric J, you are aware that "Days of Future Past " had an orchestra on it?
Just checking? The six following recordings had no orchestra.;)

dragonworks said:
Eric J, you are aware that "Days of Future Past " had an orchestra on it?
Just checking? The six following recordings had no orchestra.;)

You're saying that *Days* has both orchestra and Mellotron, right? That combo is one of the great things about that album, IMHO.

Good point about the other albums not featuring orchestra. I saw these guys a few years back in Evansville with the local philharmonic, and I think the local paper featured a story that mentioned the fact that the MB had played very few shows with orchestras, which seemed to surprise lots of people. Interesting the mental connections people make :) .

I saw the Moodys in Philadelphia, and John Lodge had a WALL OF MOOGS as well as pianos, a B3, everything. I couldn't believe the sound he got out of those! It looked like the Jet Propulsion Laboratory on that stage!

Bob

Buffalo Bob, John Lodge is the bass player. Michael Pinder was the keyboard player. If you saw them after 1973, Michael Pinder had been replaced. I saw them in Albany NY with an orchestra, third time I saw them, they played tunes they normally didnt play at shows with the orchestra.
On days of future past the MB and the orchestra are pretty much seperate. When MB is playing the orchestra is not and viseversa.

Right, dragonworks, about the switching on *Days*; I read that the MB had to play an elaborate game with Decca to get to record that album, essentially telling the record company that they were recording a modern version of some classical composer's work (whose name escapes me at the moment) while working on their own original music instead. The band was getting their stuff to the guy leading the London Festival Orchestra and he was putting together the orchestral pieces to fit with their themes. Quite a swindle, but also quite an album.

dw, when did you see them? Was it recently, like in the past 5 years or so? I have only seen them that one time, but from what I gather the song selection was not their typical one, or at least they had some tunes that they don't usually do live. "New Horizons" is one of my favorite MB songs, and they did that beautifully.

"John Lodge is the bass player. Michael Pinder was the keyboard player..." Doh!
You'd think I'd remember that, since they were one of my favorite bands! Those were foggy days indeed. I'm lucky I can remember the concert at all!
By the way, was it Ringo that played lead guitar in the Beatles?;)

Bob
Bipolar And Loving It

beaverbiscuit, I never saw the original band. I saw them in 1977, 1995 and 1996. The classical composer was Dvorak and the work was the New World Symphony.

I almost named Dvorak but didn't since I wasn't certain. Didn't know about the New World Symphony, either.

I probably saw them in '95 or '96; I'd have to dig out my ticket stub to say for sure. Great show anyway, regardless of the year.

Re: Re: Best example of pads that I can think of...

WEBCYAN said:

that and its all swimming in massive reverb.

. . . which is wonderful :). Check out "Caribbean Blue" on *Shepherd Moons*, those of you who don't know what I'm talking about.

Back