What else do I need?

e=mc2

Hello, I'm in the process of building a decent recording setup, Here's what I have so far...

RECORDING Gear-
Akai dps12i
sm57 mic
2 mic cables
audio technica "performance p6000" headphones
Ultra SCSI DC-315U bundled host adapter

WHAT I'M RECORDING-
synths- miked through amp???
guitars- miked amp w/sm57
bass- probably direct
drum machine- direct or miked???
vocals- condensor mic?

I've pretty much depleted my saving, so I have to save up some more $, but I'd like to figure out exactly what else I'm going to need.
I've looked around the site and I know I'll need monitors, more mics and? Will using these headphones for mix-down and recording work for now, or are monitors a must? What kind of mics will I need, eventually I'll probably be recording drums but not for a while(drum machine for now). Should I look into another sm57/58 or a condensor mic?

Thanks in advance for your help.

defiantly look into a condenser for vocals. Monitors are going to be a must. mixing on headphones and actually getting something good to come out is hella hard and the headphones aren't anywhere as accurate as far as the soundscape and volumes.

I know nothing about good monitors, any suggestions? What about fostex's pm series? Also any recommendations for a condensor?

First of all, see if you like the SM57. There is no law saying you need LD Condesers on vocals. Some people prefer the SM57. However - you should also try as many mics as possible (noting that different preamps may change the mics character). If you just want to buy any mic over the internet (cause you cant try um anywhere) then do a search on this board for budget condesers or vocal mic under 200 (or something equivalent). You will find 8.3million posts. The most recommended for cheap condensors will be the Studio Projects C1 and B1, Audio Technica 3035, a bunch of the MXL models, etc. It totally depends on who is using it. But hopefully that gives you a starting point. Also remember you need phantom power for the condensors (which I dont think the Akai has but Im not 100% sure).

And for monitors check out the Alesis M1s (which I dont recommend but many others do), some of the M-Audio monitors (a couple of which have been discontinued), the Tannoy Reveals which some swear by, and the Yorkville YSM1's which I do like. None of these should empty your bank account. However - you will need either Active Monitors (which have a built in amplifier) or you need an amplifier to use with the Passive Monitors.

Thanks! Monitors are definately at the top of my list. I will do some research on the ones you recommended. If I was to buy passive monitors and a amplifier, is amplifier selection very important, or is just a matter of getting something with the right amount of power. Or would I just be better off spending a couple hundred more for active monitors?

Last edited:
Back