What effects units and compressers do you MD8 users use?

CellarCat

I'm in the market for a compresser and effects unit what units have you guys used and do most of you use a couple of effects units or buy ones with more than one channel so you can send different effects to seperate tracks at the same time.?

Yo Cat in the Cellar:

You can plug TWO EFFECTS UNITS into an MD-8; I have an Alesis midiverb 3 and an Esonique DP-4 which is a big old box with lots of interesting stuff on the patches.

With the MD-8, you can hear effects while recording but the effects are not recorded; OR, you can punch a few buttons and record the effects. I prefer adding the effects after the recording.

As for compressors, I have one in my basement that I never use any more; I couldn't hear much change one way or another unless an extreme setting was used or a gated effect. You'll have to experiment and listen to decide about compression.

Lots of FX processors out there and many prices. From reading this site, I guess the Lexicon is very good, Yamaha too, as well as some Alesis models. Don't buy the Nano-verb; it's very poor.

Keep recording,
The Green Hornet

I wouldn't buy the Nanocomp. Or let me say, I wouldn't buy the nanocomp again. I have one and it's not exactly what you call transparent. The nanoverb in my opinion, is not that bad, but you would be better off getting a second hand unit of better quality. Like a Lexicon, uh, the Behringer units are pretty affordable too. I've never used either , but I would think they are better than the nanoverb. It's my opinion though, that the nanoverb is more usable than the nanocomp.

Getting back to compressors, I use mine when tracking the bass guitar and also the bass drum and snare. I don't use an extreme setting, and as Green Lantern said, you can't really hear much difference, while you're recording but, it has made a difference when trying to mix the stuff. Before using it, I couldn't get any punch out of the bass or drums without clipping. After tracking,with a compressor, even with the nanocomp, The sounds of the aforementioned are much tighter and much easier to mix. It's like they hit harder. It has helped in this regard. I wouldn't put the nanocomp on the mix however. THe sound quality isn't good enough. It colors the sound, and can add a little distortion at extreme settings. I have gotten away with a little compression on the mix when mixing some of my heavier stuff.

I have the MD4S, but still applies -
If you're looking for a great (and cheap) compressor, check out the RNC (Really Nice Compressor) from http://www.fmraudio.com
Linked stereo comp for ~ $175...This thing is extremely transparent. I use it to smooth out levels during mixdown of vocals and acoustic guitar.
Good luck!
-Evan "Ashamed to admit he still has a nanoverb :-( "

....That's why when cats fall, they always land on their paws...{I almost said feet!}

Green Hornet

There sure is a big difference in opinion when it comes to compressers some people say you don't need one and others say there is no way to get any kind of decent recording with out using some compression. I think i will get an effects processer first and look into the compresser after....

If you already have one or two pre-amps, I highly recommend the Multicom compressor by Behringer. It's 4 compressors in one rack space, and has everything you'd need (other than a damn INPUT level!).

So you might need a pre-amp or two.

We record live multitrack, and it has come in really useful. Especially since our drummer sings backup into the overhead drum mic.

&8)

After that, we'll process the effects in Cool Edit Pro, track by track. Takes a little while, but you can undo EVERYTHING right back to the original vocal and electric. It takes alot less time now, as we have some set "pre-sets" (read: scripts) that give a good starting place.

Just a thought.

I use an Alesis 3630 compressor/limiter/noise gate and I'm happy with it. It has 2 separate channels or you can link both channels together (the settings for one channel controls the second channel). For effects I use a Lexicon MPX100. Both this units are relatively inexpensive anf offer alot of bang for the buck

Back