What effects do they use on their vox?

Shack

For anyone who is familiar with the R&B singing groups SWV, Destiny's Child and the new singer called Jojo, do you know what effects they use on their vocals? I know it sounds mechanical and unhuman, but would like to know what those effects are that give them that sound.

:D Yo Shack:

Although I'm not familiar with the specific "sound" you mean, part of the fun and creativity of recording is to tweak your effects several ways and see what you like BEFORE you mix down. And, even after making one mix, you can go back and do it over and over and over.

I was putzing around with my PC the other day and found something that was labeled "robotic voice." So, I played it and it was just that--kind of like Robbie the Robot from the old LOST IN SPACE series.

So, depending on your gear and FX box [es], give it a go and see what you can create.

I'll have a Laphroig neat.

Cheers,
Green Hornet :D :p ;) :D

tons of backing vox...

with delay and reverb out the wyzoo...

can't forget compression gotta squash a few of those 50 + backing tracks and mix them in lightly.

Very complex routing and aux/sub mixing of efx are needed to achieve those sounds

Shack said:
For anyone who is familiar with the R&B singing groups SWV, Destiny's Child and the new singer called Jojo, do you know what effects they use on their vocals? I know it sounds mechanical and unhuman, but would like to know what those effects are that give them that sound.

I can tell u exactly what it is if you are talking about the kind of computer singing sound that is almost like the song computer love by zapp & roger it is called a vocoder/synthesizer some are all in one units others are seperate from each other we have one in our studio and we love using it. And the good thing is on the part u use the vocoder on the person who sings it is not always the artist because with the vocoder anyone sounds good.

The Green Hornet said:
:D Yo Shack:

Although I'm not familiar with the specific "sound" you mean, part of the fun and creativity of recording is to tweak your effects several ways and see what you like BEFORE you mix down. And, even after making one mix, you can go back and do it over and over and over.

I was putzing around with my PC the other day and found something that was labeled "robotic voice." So, I played it and it was just that--kind of like Robbie the Robot from the old LOST IN SPACE series.

So, depending on your gear and FX box [es], give it a go and see what you can create.

I'll have a Laphroig neat.

Cheers,
Green Hornet :D :p ;) :D

I'm sorry man, but you got this one all wrong.

And I'm afraid you've lost a tone of credibility with me on this.

Robbie the Robot was not in the "Lost in Space" episodes. That was a completely different robot. :D :D

Shack said:
Thanks for the replies guys.

RD, I thought Roger used the Heil Talkbox?

At first yes. By the time he died, Roger had his own custom made talkboxes. He was not a vocoder user...

Is this post talking about the Cher "Do you beleive in life after love" effect?

For pitch correction:
Look up the ATR-1A. Set the attack really tight... and the correction high.
(be forwarned, it can get very ugly... a la Cher "Life After Love" )

For that "robotic" thing;
TC Helicon "Voice One'" with the new 2.0 software which has the latest Vo-corder in it.

raab said:
At first yes. By the time he died, Roger had his own custom made talkboxes. He was not a vocoder user...

Is this post talking about the Cher "Do you beleive in life after love" effect?

I didn't mean that he sat there and used them like that I was just saying that they can give u that sound like he used. I guess I didn't state that 2 clear in my other post

That sound on the Cher song is autotune. Our teacher showed us how they did that. I don't remember the specifics, but you just put the vocal through an autotuner and "use" it way way to much. Really high, hard settings.

As for Destiny's Child, Jojo, and the like, they sound is done by compressing the shit out of the vox, and autotuning because most of the time they can't really sing what they're trying to sing.

wakeupbomb said:
That sound on the Cher song is autotune. Our teacher showed us how they did that. I don't remember the specifics, but you just put the vocal through an autotuner and "use" it way way to much. Really high, hard settings.

It wasn't, actually. It was a Vocoder. But our friend Otto T. Une can sure get pretty damn ugly, pretty damn fast.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

If it's a digitized sound, then it's probably a vocoder. On the other end, when you hear those elaborate harmonies, that generally tends to be either:

a) back up vocals with auto tune (most of the times)
b) a vocalizer
c) or any combination of the above

Back