What does the FMR RNC sound best on?

FALKEN said:
....it sort of is.....
Then tell me what other compressor comes even close to it in terms of transparency, low noise, extended high end, or low distortion. You can choose from any compressor on the market up to $2,500.

Lemme save ya some time; there ain't none.

Harvey Gerst said:
Then tell me what other compressor comes even close to it in terms of transparency, low noise, extended high end, or low distortion.

FALKEN is one of these types who posts stuff to stir up shit and get a rise out of people. I'm not sure he even believes half of the things he says. There's no point trying to carry on a conversation with him.

Harvey Gerst said:
Then tell me what other compressor comes even close to it in terms of transparency, low noise, extended high end, or low distortion. You can choose from any compressor on the market up to $2,500.

Lemme save ya some time; there ain't none.

On all of those points, I agree with you. But you left out the most important factor of all: what it sounds like! who cares what it looks like on paper? there are TONS of compressors under $2,500 that SMOKE it in actual usage. I know you don't ACTUALLY believe its the BEST compressor under $2,500. This is simply more hype.

nkjanssen said:
FALKEN is one of these types who posts stuff to stir up shit and get a rise out of people. I'm not sure he even believes half of the things he says. There's no point trying to carry on a conversation with him.

This is ridiculous. I own 4 compressors and I use the RNC the least. period. Who cares if it simply passes audio well? I have a pair of $5 cables that can pass audio better than the RNC can! but they don't compress anything! when it comes to compressing action, I have never really thought it did very well. just MO.

You can respond to MO but personal attacks are obviously unproductive.

Why would you say there is no point to carrying on a conversation with me? You've never even tried. What have YOU added to this conversation?

Last edited:
Harvey Gerst said:
I was one of their first customers and I happened to have the Neutrik A-2 Audio Test Station in the studio when my first RNC arrived. With 6dB of compression going in, it beat ALL of its published specs by whole orders of magnitude. The response was flat out to beyond 100kHz, the noise was around -128dB, and the distortion was around .0013%.

The test measurements from the Neutrik were almost too good to be true and I called Mark McQuilken (for the first time) to find out what I must have been doing wrong. It turned out that I wasn't doing anything wrong, and those measurements were typical of the production RNC. In short, it was the cleanest, quietest, lowest distortion compressor I've ever heard - at any price. We run 6 "paid for" RNC's in each of our two studios, and they get used constantly.

If you think the RNC is "crap", then tell me of a compressor with better specs.

Steve Albini has four of them. A lot of the major engineers I know swear by them. It's easy to call something "crap" on the Internet, without offering any proof to back it up. I've measured it; it's even better than they claim, and we've used it on several major label releases. Care to explain exactly why it's "crap" and what's 'better' at that price point?

Tom Petty's producer uses a Behringer compressor, yes you heard that right. Behringer products get crapped on out here in lala land more than any other brand so why does a pro producer who can no doubt use any compressor he wants choose a Behringer? It comes down to what works for you. So Falken thinks the RNC is crap, big deal. I had one and sold it, I think my Fat man is much better, or at least it works better for me. I also prefered my old Behringer to the RNC on drums and this was long before I read "Behind the glass" where Petty's producer said he uses them. Specs NEVER tell the whole story, you know this.

Here is a note I got in my CP:

"Yah, I'm sure your stuff sounds much better than anything Albini has done. What a fucking ****wad. How about posting some clips so we can hear your shitsack excuse for music, fuckhead? "Militant Rock"?! I'll bet you live in your parents' basement."

For the record, I work a full time job and have supported myself since college. I can afford much nicer equipment than what I actually use, and I can afford to go into nice studios and I choose not to. Plus, who cares if I did live in my parents basement? whats this even supposed to mean?

I never claimed my music sounds better than Albini. You are a retard.

Search my threads; I have posted clips of my music many times. And I am constantly on here trying to improve my music; I've never claimed to be better than anyone. You are an ass, who listens to whatever you are told. I bet you have like, 5 ribbons on your fucking car that read "I support everything!" Why don't you actually get your hands on this gear and some other gear and make a decision yourself?

Harvey made his and I respect it like everyone else does. I have mine but it is not respected. now, If I were wrong, this would be one thing. But there are tons of people out there who feel this item is "overhyped" (Harvey's words, not mine). So I don't feel I deserve this kind of abuse. Kiss my ass, you fucking idiot.

FALKEN said:
On all of those points, I agree with you. But you left out the most important factor of all: what it sounds like! who cares what it looks like on paper? there are TONS of compressors under $2,500 that SMOKE it in actual usage. I know you don't ACTUALLY believe its the BEST compressor under $2,500. This is simply more hype.

I do feel it's one of the best when it comes to clean, quiet, compression, without coloration for under a couple of grand. The compressors you're talking about add colorful artifacts, and that makes them desirable for a lot of things. It can also fuck up your sound big time.

The RNC shouldn't be the only gun in your arsenal, but till people learn how to really use a compressor, the RNC will do the least possible damage to the sound.

EDAN said:
Tom Petty's producer uses a Behringer compressor, yes you heard that right. Behringer products get crapped on out here in lala land more than any other brand so why does a pro producer who can no doubt use any compressor he wants choose a Behringer? It comes down to what works for you. So Falken thinks the RNC is crap, big deal. I had one and sold it, I think my Fat man is much better, or at least it works better for me. I also prefered my old Behringer to the RNC on drums and this was long before I read "Behind the glass" where Petty's producer said he uses them. Specs NEVER tell the whole story, you know this.

Funny. A lot of touring sound guys who came into a big club I used to mix at would have RNC's, and usually using them on kick and snare. Sometimes bass guitar too. Anyway, they ALWAYS sounded sort of fluffy and milky. They would be fighting with the compressor. A few times, I suggested that they switch over to Behringer Composers, when they did, I always got the wide eyed look from them like "WOW, who would have thought?".

Carlson Sound out of Seattle had a rack full of Behringer stuff. I didn't see ANY other dymanic processors in their festival system rack!

I have used Composers on many many many productions with good results. Nothing wrong with Composers at all! If you close your eyes, they sound just like many other $1000 compressors!

Big Kenny said:
not bad live, noy good recorded tho

LOL, Yeah, no good for recording, Bowie's records just sound so awful with dim dare Behringers, lol. I mean the proof is in front of some peoples face and still they choose to pretend they know better then a hit producer who actually uses the gear and has sold millions of records recorded with it!, lol.

What denial? I think that the rnc sounds far better that a berry. I've used both and prefer one over the other. Whats your problem?

This forum should be re-named "On Crack".

And nobody has a sense of humor, at all.

You guys are great.

man the first behringer composer is a great compressor! i think it's the 2100. kick snare and bass...awesome.

thanks to all who gave me nice words behind the curtain. that was really very cool of ya. :o long live HR.com... :D

Mike

easychair said:
Mark! That's his name, thanks Harvey. He's a RNG (really nice guy):D. Spent at least half an hour talking to me about the thing. I though there was something wrong with mine, with the release time.
Same here! I had a few questions about the RNLA when I first got it, and recieved a phone call from Mark himself. I was very impressed with his level of involvement and interest his customers satisfaction.
I've found many uses for my 2 RNC's and my RNLA. They do live up to the "hype" as far as I'm concerned.

FALKEN said:
This forum should be re-named "On Crack".

And nobody has a sense of humor, at all.

You guys are great.
Hiya Falky,

Glad to see you are still making friends and influencing people.

Love,
Nik

PS - You are still acting up like an absolute jackass, in case you were wondering. So you better send Santa that sense of humour back ... it's not working!! :eek:

Back