What does correlation refer to?

timvdwest

Hi there,

One thing I would really love to know is what do you use a phase correlation meter for, and how do you read the data?

Your help would help my life long struggle to find out!

Hi there,

One thing I would really love to know is what do you use a phase correlation meter for, and how do you read the data?

Your help would help my life long struggle to find out!
A phase correlation meter (like the kind used on RND's "Inspector" plug, for example) is a measure of the phase similarity between two channels of audio. Or, more plainly, the more the peaks and valleys of the waves in both channels compliment (re-enforce) each other the greater the measured "correlation". The more the waves tend to cancel each other out, the less the measured "correlation".

The two channel, L - R meters are designed to indicate greater correlation the further to the right it goes, and worse correlation the further to the left it goes. NOTE: L and R do not indicate the left and right channels of your mix, they indicate only the amount of correlation between any two given channels.

Typically you'll find most readings near center and fading a bit to the right, indicating some, but not a great deal of correlation (perfect correlation, swinging all the way to the right, will happen only when the two waves are identical) If you find it spending too much time on the left side or swinging hard left for anything more than just an occasional bump, this might indicate a bit too much phase conflict between the two channels. But that's really for your ears to decide.

I sincerely hope that this answer doesn't mean that now that your quest is over that you have nothing left to live for :eek: ;) :D

G.

Back