What does anyone think about this......

dmas

I am building a studio and instead of making 3 or 4 seperate rooms for vocals and instruments I am thinking of using office partitions. My idea is to reinforce the partitions with a little more insulation and set them and the mics up in a way that "bleeding" is minimized. Has anyone ever done/heard of something like this? As always any help is greatly appreciated.

For your insturments, this would be quite acceptable. But, because you are usually using a large diaphram condenser mic for vocals, a iso booth would be recommended.

They used to make these really heavy office partitions that were extremely usefull in the studio. They worked as good as any Gabo I have ever seen. Look around at some used office furniture places. You can probably pick them up for cheap.

Ed

Yes, the baffles will work, but you will have to monitor each other with headphones.

But; an accoustic guitar or vocal is no match for drums or amplified electric guitar,
so it will be hard to separate these softer instruments from the louder ones. The loud instruments will bleed through the vocal mikes etc.... can you record vocals later as an overdub?.... Then the noise wont be there!

Dom Franco

Back