What Does A Low Cut Filter Do?

Just what it says. Low Frequency Cut.

It will reduce the level of low frequencies. On a mic this is often used to reduce rumble or stage vibrations

You may also see the words Cut-Off frequency. This is the frequency where the level is down 3db. The level keeps dropping below this frequency.

Low Cut and High Pass are basically interchangeable.

It does exactly what it's name says: when it's in the on position it filters out some of the lower frequencies picked up by the mic.

As far as when to use it, use it when it gives you closer to the sound you actually want to record. That is, when you want whatever your recording to sound less bassy, turn it on. Or if you're having a problem with vibrations from the kick drum or from the semis driving down the street out front causing bad low frequency rumble to sneak into your recordings, turn it on.

OTOH, if you need or want to pick up as much bass as you can, turn it off.

G.

so for vocals would it be useless :S

It would help with proximity effect, which is a bump in the low/mid frequencies when your voice is very close to the mic's element. That said, I've found I don't use low-cut filters on mics very much these days due to the availability of EQ plugins that take care of it for you. In the old days, you had a limited # of hardware EQ's so you'd want to address any low-end rumble at the micrphone itself rather than wasting an EQ channel. Plugins solve this issue and also give you additional flexibility in how much low-end you leave or remove from the signal.

If you're not sure, I'd just leave it off so you can get as much of the signal as possible. If you hear rumble during playback or mixing, just activate a low cut/high pass EQ filter on that track within the software and you're good to go.

I'm with bdenton. It's very useful for vocals. There is little if any useful energy that low for vocals.

If you're going to EQ it out later do it with the cutoff. Then you're only recording frequencies you actually need and will allow you to track with more useful "energy"

Back