What does a banana taste like?

BobHaymond

I don't know how you'd tell anybody who didn't already know! WELL try the following: Suppose I have a good condenser mic going into a good preamp. Tell me, please, what differences I would hear under the following senarios:

A. Just clean preamp.
B. Preamp with compression.
C. Preamp with "tube" color added.
D. B & C

I'm looking at a preamp which has these options and am wondering what they are talking about. I've been told onother posts to use my ears; well I will in due course, but out here in the country there ain't a bunch to listen to.

Cordially

The best advice I can give is to give each pre the "OLD EAR TEST"

Take 1 mic and hook it up to determine which pre sound's the best to you! You will be offered many opinions here what sounds the best, gives the warmest tone,the brightest, etc,etc,etc! But your own "EARS" will tell you which one sounds the best!
Good Luck!

I forgot you said you were already told to use your ears.

Visit www.samash.com . They have discs that compares the various pres by using an A/B/C/D comparison. This might help!

It will indeed be incredibly interesting to go thru some of these things for myself! I have in the interem ordered the DaviSound TB-3 and two C1's. This time next year I'll know some of this! BH

okay, i had to give it a shot...

a. "just clean preamp." In the best of all possible worlds, an ultra-clean preamp would basically be an extremely pure wire that added gain. So your microphone would sound exactly like your microphone, except louder. This is important because microphones are extremely "quiet" in the relative scheme of things. In my experience, I have never heard a "just clean" preamp. Every preamp has a "sound," unless it's specifically designed to be pure, for example, for audio testing purposes. In that case, usually 99.99% of us cannot afford to buy it.

b. "preamp with compression." I would add to this, preamp and compression with makeup gain, because if you just add compression, things get a lot quieter. Sounds like the clean preamp, but louder, and maybe a little bizzare depending on the source you put into it. With vocals, compression can actually be a little hard to hear, except sibilance and breath sounds start to be a lot more noticeable, along with everything getting a little more even. If you've ever heard Tori Amos, and the way her breathing and whispers becomes an integral part of a song, well, that's pretty heavy compression.

c. "preamp with tube color added." This varies. Can sound really nice and smooth, can sound exactly like the clean preamp, can sound thick and dark, can sound extremely distorted. pretty much runs the gamut, depending on the tube, where it is in the chain (mic, preamp, compressor, other processor). Some tubes are extremely transparent, some are crunchy. Mic tubes: the Neumann U47 sounds beautiful, very airy and warm, but also a little dense. The Rode NTK (a lot cheaper) sound thick and a little dark, can sound almost distorted. Generally it's a heavier sound, but not always. Preamp tubes: an ART tube MP preamp, when cranked, sounds distorted. Other tubes I am not so familiar with. In general, most designs are engineered to add even-order harmonics to a sound, which is a fancy engineering way to say, distortion that human ears like.

d. "both b&c." More of what c sounds like. so louder, less spiky, more balanced, and probalby a little more distorted, again depending on the design of the system.

Charger: A great reply. This is important! I'm surprised that more folks didn't pick this up! I did select the DaviSound TB-3 which will give me the option of experimenting amongst these elements. Maybe in a year or so I'll be able to help with some answers of my own.

again, thanx. BH

Yeah, Earthworks gear is mostly designed to be used in critical applications right? I know when I worked at an audio manufacturer, I often saw their mics used for measurement purposes. But I;ve never useed their pres. Well, I guess most people buy pres not to be "a wire that amplifies signal" but for the specific tonal qualities they impart. People don't want razor-sharp clarity, or Earthworks would be the only manufacturer. They want something warm, punchy, airy, phat, whatever.

Back