What do you use to mix all your synths and keyboards for live performances?

Mealz

I am looking at getting a little rackmount mixer that takes something like 8 stereo inputs. How do you mix your synth for live gigs? any suggestions? Do you just use your amp? Lots of DI's to the FOH ?

Any advice would be great thanks.

i have a behringer mixer... it's cheap and pretty sturdy... it doesn't kill you if it breaks, and i've had mine for 2 years now, and it's working splendidly... i use it to master both the output from my computer and my synth... i've set it up in locked eq zones, so i'll always have some place familiar to put a sound... i.e. a few usefull parametric setups, a high, low and mid setup and an overall boost...

I have a Korg KMX-62. I used to use a desktop style mixing console, not anymore!:D

I wouldn't want to use anything that wasn't rack mountable at this point. The KMX-62 is a single rackspace unit, but only handles 6 inputs (not 8) each input can be panned and recieve AUX signal indepentantly from all the others.

Mine is starting to flake out on me, so as soon as I can afford it, I'm getting another one (they cost less than $100 used).

If you must get 8, there's a 2 space version with 12 inputs (simply two KMX-62's fused together), called the KMX-122.

Anyway, here's one of the 62's on ebay:

Korg KMX-62

Carl

Hi Mealz,

I have used a little old Boss Bx-600 6 channel mixer for many years. It's been everywhere and every gig at home and overseas and still works like a charm. 6 channels has been enough for me.

I've tried to keep my live set up simple.

Stereo left and right of my 2 synths into channel 1-4 .
Sampler left and right into channel 5 and 6.

Master left and right out to 2 Di boxes and then Foh mix.

I also ran a small peavey Kb/a 60 amp as a personal monitor next to me through the mixers fx bus which works well for me.

As Krakit said the Kmx-62 would do the job if you don't need more than 6 channels.

I have a Boss BX-60 (which looks exactly the same as the Boss BX-600).

That was the desktop unit I mentioned before and yes I still keep it for use in other projects. I just got tired of chasing it around when I wanted to tweak something.

Once you go rack, you never go back. :D

Carl

Krakit said:
I have a Boss BX-60 (which looks exactly the same as the Boss BX-600).

Once you go rack, you never go back. :D

Carl

Hi Carl,

I agree

Yes I have room in my rack below the sampler to put a rack unit in and it would be a nice neat addition and in the not too distant future I will probably end up going that way.

Jon.

Mackie 1202 VLZ

Hi,

I've used a Mackie 1202 VLZ for years. There are plenty of ways to route signals for effects, keyboard amp/monitor, mains, etc. Highly recommended.

Re: Mackie 1202 VLZ

Ron Schilling said:
Hi,

I've used a Mackie 1202 VLZ for years. There are plenty of ways to route signals for effects, keyboard amp/monitor, mains, etc. Highly recommended.

But still, I think Mealz was/is looking for a rack mountable unit. I can't say I blame him.

As a keyboardist, there's nothing better than having all your non-keyboard gear nestled in a rack.

Carl

Re: Re: Mackie 1202 VLZ

Krakit said:
But still, I think Mealz was/is looking for a rack mountable unit. I can't say I blame him.

As a keyboardist, there's nothing better than having all your non-keyboard gear nestled in a rack.

Carl

You can rack mount any of the smaller mackie's with some rack ears. The last keyboard rig I teched on we used a mackie 1604 in a slant rack with the modules down below. Worked great.

I often use a Yamaha MV-802. Rack mountable, and has a footpedal input for VCA control of master volume. Great little mixer.

If I am using my Proteus 2000 and only one or two other synths, I use the Proteus as the mixer. The two stereo sub1 and sub2 inputs can be used as external audio inputs, which are routed directly to the main stereo outputs of the synth. I've actually used this a lot on smaller rigs, very handy.

SonicAlbert said:
I often use a Yamaha MV-802. Rack mountable, and has a footpedal input for VCA control of master volume. Great little mixer.

If I am using my Proteus 2000 and only one or two other synths, I use the Proteus as the mixer. The two stereo sub1 and sub2 inputs can be used as external audio inputs, which are routed directly to the main stereo outputs of the synth. I've actually used this a lot on smaller rigs, very handy.

I checked this unit out and I must say it looks sweet. 2 spaces is a drawback, but otherwise, nice.

BTW, the Korg has VCA too. :D

I think that the Korg is more attractive, but the Yammy's go for much less (apparently).

Carl

Whoooops, spoke too soon. The Yamaha is much more expensive. I'll stick with the Korg after all. ;)

Carl

Thanks everyone for you help. I think I will stick with some type of Rack mount solution (but 1 - 3 u's will be max space!) As much as I like the idea of a Mackie, I dont have he $$$ or the space for it!

Now comes my next Question....

.....How do you control different rack modules in a LIVE situation?

Do you have some type of midi patchbay with which you can quickly send your midi to diferrent units? Have each unit on a different channel and change channnel on the controler?

I have two controllers (one weighted one not) - I'm thinking that It might be ideal to have a midi patchabay so that I could use my two controllers with any combination of rackmounts.

What do you guys think?

I don't know if this helps, but I use a MIDI merger to control one multitimbral module from two different keyboards. The nice folks in the "MIDI Mania" forum helped me out with that one. :)

Depending on how elaborate your setup is and what your individual controller and module capabilities are, you can program in some nice MIDI setups this way. There are more sophisticated MIDI merge boxes than the 2 in x 2 out I opted for, but that was all I needed. For $60.

Control just depends on what you need to do. The rig I worked on with the mackie we had volume pedals hooked up to all the keyboards and the performer used that to bring in the different parts. Everything was played on one midi channel.

If your controller can do multi channel splits and layers than that is another way to do it.

Mealz, what controller are you using? Some of them have multiple midi outputs, which essentially work like a little midi patchbay within the controller. I use a Roland A-70 and it has four midi outs, and each can be programmed independently. So I just hook up a different synth to each midi output of the A-70. That's an ideal setup for up to four synths.

I also use a Yamaha MEP-4 a great deal (I have a couple of them). The MEP-4 is a midi processor from the late 80's, made by Yamaha. It's still a great great box, kind of a Swiss army knife of midi. It has one midi input and four midi outputs, along with four internal midi processors. It basically turns any keyboard into a master keyboard with four independtly programmable midi outs. A very great box.

There are also simpler midi patchbays that will allow you to take midi inputs and re-route them to various midi outputs. Some of these patchbays will also let you send patch change information as well, really a must. I have a couple 360 Systems Midi Patchers, which are great for this. I also have a JL Cooper MSB 16/20, which is the mothership of these patchbays. It has 16 midi inputs and 20 midi outputs, kind of overkill unless you have a huge rig.

One thing that is unfortunate is that manufacturers really aren't making these kinds of boxes anymore. Midi patchbays are now all geared toward computer use. In the early days of midi there were actually more advanced midi tools available for live rigs, more advanced lets say without the use of a computer.

The nice thing about the Yamaha MV-802 mixer I mentioned is that you only need one Yamaha FC-7 volume pedal hooked up to the mixer. Since it controls the master volume, it therefore eliminates the need for seperate pedals for the various synths.

Hope some of this is helpful.

Anybody ever use this?

Hi all, OK, this isn't a rackmount mixer, but it looks pretty small and trouble-free: The Midiman/M Audio Multimixer 6.

Has anyone ever used one of these to take multiple keys out to an amp? That's really all I need to figure out in my rig now.

gg

Those little midiman mixers have very little headroom. You'll spend all your time tweaking the trim to keep from distorting. If you want a tabletop mixer like those are, then better to get a small Mackie or one of these new Yamaha mini mixers. I did a show a while back with a guy who used a Midiman mixer and it really didn't cut it, neither the keyboardist nor I liked it much. He very shortly later dumped it for a Mackie 1202 and was much happier.

Back