What do you use for write strips?

RKB

For my purposes, I've generally relied on memory and track sheets to find out what's on what track. Now that my mixing has become more complicated, I'm looking to start using write strips on the mixer, but am unsure what the best things to use is. Is there actually studio write strips that can be purchased? I hesitate to use something like masking tape for fear it will leave a sticky mess, and I'd rather use a strip than write directly on the mixer with a grease pencil.

Any suggestions?

Drafting tape. Back in the dark ages, when things were designed with pencil, paper, and straightedge, they came up with this stuff to stick vellum to a drafting table.

The adhesive is just barely strong enough to hold the paper in place, but not so strong that it shreds the corners of your drawing when you pull it up. The adhesive only has about one-quarter of the "tackiness" of regular masking tape, even though the product looks just the same. It comes up cleanly, never leaves a mess, and is every sound guy's friend. It costs almost exactly the same as masking tape, but you need to get it from a drafting supply house, or a _really_ good office supply store.

My favorite is from Charrette:

http://www.charrette.com

and search for "drafting tape". And I still use it to hold paper drawings onto a drafting table, too...

Hope that helps.

Light-gray Gaffer-Tape (any light colour will do) - can write on it with a ball-point or felt-tip, and it doesn't leave the residue that most other tapes leave.

- Wil

Back