What do you use for mixing down?

Masters Of War

I've been recording for a little over a year now with a 488 and I'm looking for a unit to start mixing down my tracks to. Most importantly I'm looking to mix down to a 2 track casset, but I would also like to be able to convert to wav or mp3 format and get my stuff on the internet. If anyone could suggest a good unit or two units (one for 2-track, one for wav) that falls somewhere around $200-$250 that would be great. Also on ebay I found a Technics 676 Cassette Deck Mix Down going for pretty cheap, how does this stack up against other units? Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

I'd recommend you mix directly to your computer.
There's plenty of programs out there free or cheap that will let you do this.
A decent sound card is necessary for this, or a good interface like the Tascam US-122 ($199).
I love the 488...I've had one for years. Great little machine. :cool:

I don't have a computer so I would need something that could go direct from my 488 to a 2-track casset and that could store wav files. I'm not too sure on how the whole wav file storing part would work so anyone that could enlighten me as to how I would get a recording from my 488 to a wav file and onto a computer that would be awesome. Really my main concern is getting some 2-track casset recordings, if the wav file is a whole diffrent beast then I'll tackle that later.

I'd agree with Teysha, using your computer directly does save some steps provided you have the computer in your studio and that you have a decent quality soundcard to capture a line level stream with decent A/D conversion circuitry in the soundcard.

If those two items are not in place, I would suggest scoring a stand alone CD recorder deck, (which is what I use, myself.)

I find that using the standalone units generally offer much better quality analog to digital converters then what comes built in to most computer sound cards and give you more of a hands on recorder feel in that you have real meters and real level controls to play with to ensure your signal is not clipping past the dreaded 0db mark.

I'm not up on the market's current offerings but I'm sure if you're doing this purchase on ebay, they'll be a whole bunch of stuff within your budget.

The Pioneer units are the ones to watch for, IMO.

Cheers! :)

Minidisc recorders are pretty sweet. Digital quality, and really easy editing - can shave off 100th of seconds before or after the track, automate fade ins and out, and other cool stuff.

I would check the paper or find a used computer store. Id bet that for allot less than 250.00
You could find a good usable computer that would do just what you want.

Back