What do you use envelopes for?

randyfromde

Not "how do you use them", but really, when do you find yourself using them in your recordings?

I find I tend to use them after I set my levels and effects, but a part still sticks out too much. What I do is split the track with the offending part, then use the envelope to bring the volume down to where I want it to be.

How about you?

^^^ Pretty much the same way you do. Never really used them for anything else except just messing around with every effect I can find trying to mutilate a track beyond comprehension. :D ;)

I use them on Lead Vocal tracks a ton sort of like manual compression, I guess...without the offending added sibilance and hollowed out sound that compression can bring. And whenever I get real drum tracks from somebody, I tend to have to volume envelope those a lot too

Pretty broad question - a bit like asking what you use the faders of a mixer for, because that's the exact analogy I'd say. Here, for instance, I use them for crossfading at edit points, fades, and for bringing up the level of spoken material a bit off-mic when musicians introduce works in classical concerts. That's a handy thing in Audition 1.5 - you can rescale the volume envelopes for a whole session, a track, or a block, enabling them to amplify as well as reduce.

And of course there are pan envelopes, wet/dry envelopes, effect automation envelopes, etc etc....

ozpeter said:
Pretty broad question -

It was intentionally vague :) I know what I use them for, but others might give me ideas that I hadn't thought of!

a bit like asking what you use the faders of a mixer for, because that's the exact analogy I'd say.

True. But look at a hip-hop DJ, who uses a fader very fast to mix two records together. Something most people wouldn't have thought of right away when they see that piece of equipment.

Here, for instance, I use them for crossfading at edit points, fades, and for bringing up the level of spoken material a bit off-mic when musicians introduce works in classical concerts.

Sounds like we all have the same basic usage!

And of course there are pan envelopes, wet/dry envelopes, effect automation envelopes, etc etc....

I definitely need to get more into the other types of envelopes. I'm sure there's all sorts of sounds that I could be getting if I knew what I was doing!

My previous post reads a bit like something of a put-down - it wasn't intended. Indeed, there's always someone using some part of CE/AA for something totally unexpected and unthought of by others!

Back