What do you think?

I just uploaded a fresh recording called, "Diogenic Journey". Some recording/mixing/songwriting advice would be awesome.
myspace.com/thedreadfulhoroscope:o

It's the red background on your MySpace page......just kidding....

You could try giving some feedback to the other posts on the forum - you don't have to be a pro to give critiques. We did a thread on this a few weeks ago - where were you?

Firstly the performance is great - very well done. It sounds like a live take and it's pretty tight...

Good sythesizer stuff at the beginning and end....

The guitar is recorded okay for volume but lacks some tone - listen to Rick
Shepherd's guitar in his thread (beefy, full of tone). Okay he's got mega bucks in the gear dept :rolleyes: but your guitar sounds far away and rather blah....like the strings are old.

The vocals are also kind of far away sounding.

The whole song sounds (except the synth) like you used one dynamic mic a few feet away from you and recorded both guitar and vocals. It's not bad but there is potential for improvement with some more mics and good placement.

It's the red background on your MySpace page......just kidding....

You could try giving some feedback to the other posts on the forum - you don't have to be a pro to give critiques. We did a thread on this a few weeks ago - where were you?

Firstly the performance is great - very well done. It sounds like a live take and it's pretty tight...

Good sythesizer stuff at the beginning and end....

The guitar is recorded okay for volume but lacks some tone - listen to Rick
Shepherd's guitar in his thread (beefy, full of tone). Okay he's got mega bucks in the gear dept :rolleyes: but your guitar sounds far away and rather blah....like the strings are old.

The vocals are also kind of far away sounding.

The whole song sounds (except the synth) like you used one dynamic mic a few feet away from you and recorded both guitar and vocals. It's not bad but there is potential for improvement with some more mics and good placement.

ahh, you dont like my background! haha. thanks for ther advice. I am just using a dynamic mic with the guitar and vox. My guitar is actually a resonator. I really need to figure out the right way to record it. What could I do to make the vocals sound closer?

Thanks for your help!

p.s i know i need to start posting more, I get into the bad habit of just reading without saying anything. Also I have been away from the forum for awhile, but I will start being more active.:)

I need some opinions on my music and recording. Any advice or comments would really really be appreciated, usually when I post a thread I get 0 responses.
www.myspace.com/thedreadfulhoroscope

Thanks, so much!:D

I din't listen to everything yet, but from what I heard, your acoustic sounds a little dead and boxy. I would try to play around with mic placement, until you can get the best sound. Also, change strings every time you record a new track. Your vocals need to come up in the mix, also. They are kind of buried. Keep it up, and you will get what you want, I believe.

Acoustic guitar sounds like crap. I guess I'm kind of a perfectionist about that though since that's all I record. :D Ido was right about it sounding like a dynamic mic far off from where you were recording.

The best "quality" would come from miking the vocals and guitar separately and paying close attention to getting the best sound possible from each track.

You're not using a radio shack mic right?

I'd at least try miking closer next time to where you are playing. It will make a huge difference.

The only thing that suffers on this in my opinion is the sound quality. I like the song and I think it was played/sung well. So just work on getting a better quality recording.

Acoustic guitar sounds like crap. I guess I'm kind of a perfectionist about that though since that's all I record. :D Ido was right about it sounding like a dynamic mic far off from where you were recording.

The best "quality" would come from miking the vocals and guitar separately and paying close attention to getting the best sound possible from each track.

You're not using a radio shack mic right?

I'd at least try miking closer next time to where you are playing. It will make a huge difference.

The only thing that suffers on this in my opinion is the sound quality. I like the song and I think it was played/sung well. So just work on getting a better quality recording.

Thanks for listening. The vocals and the guitar are on separate tracks and I'm using a MXL 990. I was pretty close to the mic as well. Im using an older Samson mixer and Nuendo. I didnt really do much to the levels except for raing the high end a bit on the guitar. I dont really know what to do. Thanks for listening to the song!

I din't listen to everything yet, but from what I heard, your acoustic sounds a little dead and boxy. I would try to play around with mic placement, until you can get the best sound. Also, change strings every time you record a new track. Your vocals need to come up in the mix, also. They are kind of buried. Keep it up, and you will get what you want, I believe.

thanks for the advice! I tried some compression on the vocals, but it really made them sound off. Thanks so much for listening!

My biggest question is....how do you get all those songs on your myspace player??

Good song, tight performance, not so great recording. The other's advice was spot on regarding mic placement, etc...far better advice than I could give.

Structurewise, I don't think the synths fit with this song at all. Don't get me wrong, the synth part is really cool, and so is the rest of the song, but they're just two different things...kind of like putting strawberries on a burrito.

Brad

My biggest question is....how do you get all those songs on your myspace player??

Good song, tight performance, not so great recording. The other's advice was spot on regarding mic placement, etc...far better advice than I could give.

Structurewise, I don't think the synths fit with this song at all. Don't get me wrong, the synth part is really cool, and so is the rest of the song, but they're just two different things...kind of like putting strawberries on a burrito.

Brad

myspace lets you put 6 songs up now. i was pretty psyched when i heard about it. thanks for listening. i understand your feelings about the snyths. :)

Back