What do you think of this basic recording

digitcallous

This is the first tune I recorded on my Fostex MR-8. It is mixed completely on the recorder with no processing done on the computer (not that I have the tools to do it either).

This was done in kind of a hurry to see how the machine works, so the playing is a bit sloppy. I also noticed that some of the drum sounds (snare and tom) are lost in the mix. It's not anything I can correct as the drums were mixed down with other instruments already.

I do appreciate any input on the recording though. The songs is an old Yardbirds song, I call it "For Your Love (the twisted mix)".

Thanks.

DC

well, you said you can't fix it, but

as you know, the bass and snare are lost in the mix.. there also isn't much in the way of highs.. the auto wah sounds a bit too dynamic too.. the mix definitely needs some e.q. help, but I liked this version of the song..

overall a cool version!

Hey Sabbath,

Thanks for listening and the critique.

I am really a newbie when it comes to mixing, so if you don't mind I have a few questions.

What I have to play with is what I ended up recorded in the Fostex. So if my snare and tom is lost in the mix, what can I do to bring them back? I thought about bringing the WAV files back up to the computer and using software to EQ the tracks. Is that what you mean, or is there a way to do it in the recorder (the Fostex does not have EQ)? Even worse, my drum tracks were mixed down with the lead because I ran out of tracks to do what I wanted to do.

You also said the song has no highs. What do you suggest to do to bring that in? Do you mean to do that with EQ, or add some other instrument layer?

Another thing in your post said that this needs some EQ help. Can you give me some parameters what kind of EQ help you are talking about?

By the way, I listen to "I feel good". It made me feel good. I guess I was going for the same effect: to do an old song in a way that no one has heard before; but I don't have the skills you have.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

DC

Cool cover!!!:DMix has definite discrepancies,but...Auto-wah?And make the leads a little more prominent if there's not gonna be vox

It has potential.

The eq is a definite issue. The overal mix is flat and is begging for depth.

Also, the rhythm guitar panned hard left is too monotenous in my opinion. It wants more permutations in the rhythm. (again in my opinion)

Good start though for your first song.

Andrew.

I think the main problem are the various reverb/delay level of each track and the whole drum section, but i can see a lot of good work in this mix; I'd like to see the next version!

Cool cover,nice vibe to it!

If I was to offer any suggestions,it would be either double or stereo the rythym,and mabey ping pong the lead and add some stereo delay to it,you know bounce it around a little.
Just an idea.:)

Pretty good for a first try,looking foward to more!

Have a great New Year,

Pete

Back