What do you think of these home stereo systems???

Wharfedales get a whole bunch of good chatter on this board as good low- priced studio monitors. Can't comment on their home theater produts though...

i want a nice home stereo system, and don't want circuit city shit... (both systems are just under $1000US

i actually haven't heard any of these, but the reason i've narrowed into these two is because, a friend of mine has an old cerwin vega system that sounds amazing...and wharfedales get so much response on this forum (if you look at the specs on the wharfedales, the 8.1's are the included bookshelfs, so i'm sure some ppl can comment on that, and how they are in a casual listening enivonment (or how tempted you'll be to look behind the couch when a hellicopter is flying overhead in a movie :D )

I would personally go with the Cerwins, but to be fair I've never heard the Wharfdales for comparasin.

One great company offering great sound and reasonable prices would be Paradigm. Looking at the Cerwin Vega's, I don't know why you'd want two towers AND a sub. You can use two satellites left and right, and get a better sub that'll go deeper than 32hz.

What would I do?

Using Paradigms for the satellites and center, I'd then go with an HSU VTF-2 ($500.00) as the sub.

Actually, when you say home stereo, that means 2 speakers (for left and right), and a sub... The ones you posted look like Home theater, which requires the center speaker and rear satellites (thus thinning out you budget for any one particular item).

For STEREO, you could get the HSU sub, and two Paradigm Mini-Monitors, be well under $1K and have a FANTASTIC SOUNDING setup. Or, instead of the HSU get a Paradigm PDR-12 Sub (or one of their other models).

Try av123.com if you want internet direct. The real wood finishes on their speakers are really nice.

Everyone hears things differently, has different musical tastes and does their listening in different environments. Buy what sounds best to you with the music you like in your own listening room.

Bottom line is to make sure that your dealer has a clear and liberal return policy in the event the product you purchased sounds different at home than it did in the demo room.

Back