What do you think of my sound???

mousedadrummer

Junior Engineer
Just wanted to know what people thought of the sound im getting when recording drums, and any advice you have that would possibly make them sound better. The biggest problem im guessing with the sound atm is the room, its a small 5.5 meter long by 2.3 meter wide bedroom with a 2.2 meter high ceiling and no acoustic treatment.

My latest drum recording can be found at

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?id=16315

Sorry for the slopping drumming!

Mic used were:

Kick drum- AKG D112
Snare- Sm57
High Tom- Sennheiser e604
Low Tom- Sm57
Overheads- Rode NT1 and cheap Takstar pencil condensor (i need to upgrade these)
Outer Kick/front kit- Cheap JTS SM58 copy (thought Id throw it on as I had it spare, might work better on under snare???)

Cheers!

ok im no expert, so listen if you like. I think youve achieved a pretty clean sound, and from then on it is kind of personal preference as to different mikes, styles, techniques, etc. in my opinion the kick is a bit echoey, if that even makes sense. i especially noticed this within the first few beats you played, but again totally preference, just sounded a little to open to me. and then the toms were a bit difficult to distinguish, kind of blended together too much. again im no expert.

Sounds pretty good. Snare could use more snap I think. I use an sm 57 as well and find the same issue. Kick sounds pretty good. I like the cymbal shimmer. It rings nicely without too much ring or overpowering your other mics.

Your bass drum sounds fine. Everything sounds fine really, but you could probably use better more unified mics. The difference between the toms is more than diameter and pitch difference.

Also, clean up those Portnoy fills. :P

I have to agree with Jimmy; drum sounds is a very personal thing. I'm sure you mixed this to your likings; as I do with my drum tracks.

Overall, the sound is good. I'm sure it satisfies your taste. I won't go crazy here and give you what I would do to your tracks, since most probably, they won't fit in the music you record.

What I'm trying to say is: they sound Good:)

Cheers!

Sounds pretty good, no nits here. But like others have said, it all depends on the music. Love to hear it again in a mix. That's when you hear what needs to be tweaked (if anything).

Cheers guys, I find it really hard to hear if im getting a good sound, im always too harsh on myself lol but yer, Im mostly recording rock and I have some recordings up at www.myspace.com/onlyofyouuk however these were recorded some time ago and i think ive improved my sound since then

cheers

I think they sound pretty good. With the way it's tracked, I think you can get the snare plenty snappy with the right eq/compression.

I agree that the snare is a little lacking. Maybe that drum just has a deep sound. Personally, I would give it more bark (upper mids maybe?) Also I think I really hear the room in the snare, though not so much in anything else.

Maybe this is what you're going for, but it's a very hi-fi sound. I would like to hear a little more coloration in the drums (the cymbals are fine). Also the bass sounds very similar to the tom that's panned right. Maybe eq them differently.

Really, though, it's a good sound.

Back