What do you think about using loops?

sjfoote

I recently purchased a DVD of royalty-free loops that work with my software. After trying them out, I wonder why I keep messing around trying to record my own backing tracks, when I can assemble great sounding tracks using loops.

This is the problem - I keep debating with myself whether music I create using loops is as valid as music I create by scratch. I mean, I use many of the same chord progressions over and over, so I wind up recording similar stuff on different days - maybe different arrangments, but same progressions. I can create the same progressions using loops in a matter if minutes, and they do sound better than what I create. I can then add my solos and melodies over the loops to create my own songs - BUT - is this a valid use of loops, or am I just taking the easy way out?

Curious to know your thoughts on the subject....

Using loops reminds me of back when Dance E-Jay came out hehe I prefer to steer clear of loops just so that I can come up with my ideas. I know what you mean though, but there are so many loops for every purpose and then were getting onto the grounds of samples which could end up in a whole track of drag and drop music.

I like to use loops on top of my music, as opposed to my music on top of loops. That way when I consider playing live, I can just hook up a sampler with a keyboard and get someone to hit the keys for me on stage :P

Then again it does weigh mostly on what you want to achieve and what type of music you are making

Back