what do you prefer

choy

Hi ! Just want to ask for an advice and opinion regarding what's your choice if your going to have this option. 1. Going to buy a Mackie VLZ 12 pro and Layla 20 soundcard or just rather buy a stand alone digital/ analog recorder such as Yamaha M8 or Tascam 4 track cassette recorder MK III i guess.

I do have my set-up already i just want to add some machine for my home recording.

My set up:

Fostex FD8
Pentium III 800 256MB ram
SOYO with Via chipset
Darla 24 soundcard

Any reply will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Choy

Be carful

Hey choy, I just wanted to let you know tha there is another thread that is getting pretty heated about posting the same thing in multiple forums. You don't need to do it. People will see it.

Just a little help.

sorry about it,, i have no intention of doing it. I just put my thread in a wrong forum so that's why i put here cause it concerns my question and topic. I believe this forum is about event/ echo products and i guess theres nothing wrong about it because my question is about this product besides if i remember i put the other thread in computer recording thread which also concerns my question and this thread is different to that thread. If what i done is making some people pissed off then im sorry. It never came to my mind that many people will see it and get annoyed for this matter.

Well Choy, Unfortunately many people at forums like this take it personally when someone posts on multiple forums. Seems kinda silly to me as different people hang out in different forums so your chances for getting the answer you need are better by doing it. But your chances for pissing people off so that they will not answer your posts are better too, so it's best to just not do it.

As to your post, if it were me and I did not need portability, I would DEFINATELY go with the Mackie and Layla option. Especially since the 2 stand alone's you mentiond are mini-disk and tape. I wouldn't even consider a stand alone that didn't have a hard drive unless Finances absoutely will not allow for something else, which I would guess doesn't apply to you given the mixer/soundcard setup you are considering.

The audio will sound MUCH better going to hard drive, as opposed to mini-disk or tape. Plus the editing abilities on a computer are much easier to use than those available even on hard disk stand alone recorder, Once you get/learn the software and get the hardware setup that is. Nothin beats havin a big screen to do editing on. Plus internal hard drives and CD-r's are getting really cheap.

Good luck to ya.

Layla 20bit

Layla is built around Intel Chips (those are the real computer chips!) Echo states any other chipsets may or may not work. You could check with echo to see if it might work with your computer or find someone with a layla with the same chipset as you. I think the darla will get along with the layla but you may want to check on that with Echo. The Layla 20 has 24bit spdif but the inputs and outputs are still 20 bit. If Your not going to record more than 2 inputs (without sub mixing) I would just stick with the darla and the mixer being its 24/96. If you need more inputs Then I would try the layla.

Duck

Back