What do you prefer?

choy

Hi ! Just want to ask for an advice and opinion regarding what's your choice if your going to have this option. 1. Going to buy a Mackie VLZ 12 pro and Layla 20 soundcard or just rather buy a stand alone digital/ analog recorder such as Yamaha M8 or Tascam 4 track cassette recorder MK III i guess.

I do have my set-up already i just want to add some machine for my home recording.

My set up:

Fostex FD8
Pentium III 800 256MB ram
SOYO with Via chipset
Darla 24 soundcard

Any reply will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Choy

Personally I'd go the Mackie/Soundcard/Computer route.

Using some software such as Cakewalk, you can record essentially an unlimited number of tracks. (The number of simultaneous tracks is limited by the number of inputs on your soundcard.)

You will also have better editing capabilities, and the ability to burn to CD's (with a CD burner of course) or create MP3's.

Your computer system should be able to run everything fine (although you didn't specify your HD size).

How bout some adats and a good card interface. You can use the adats as converters also and storage.
Nice and handy to have a tape on hand. When all else fails, throw it in the machine hit record and go.

thanks guys for your help! here is additional info on my hardware: My hard disk is a 7200 rpm 20 gig Maxtor, i use cool edit pro and CP 2000. My question is, can my hard drive capable of 8 track simultaneous. If not what can you suggest in order for me to have achieve this 8 track simu. By the way i have my hD tested through Echo reporter It says it can do 2 simultaneous recording while play back is 100+. Whats on my mind is that when i buy a layla which is capable of 8 tracks simultaneous rec I expect that it can be done in contrary to what the echo reporter assessment of my HD. Is my expectation right or wrong??

Thanks
Sorry for posting same topic to other thread.

Choy

yeah you're right. that reporter thing probably had some fucked up settings judging fronm the 100+playback. maybe you have 2 now but that system can handle more.

guhlenn

your 800 with a good motherboard and drives will give you multiple 24bit tracks with plugins and superior editing capability.....go for it!

cheers
john

Back