What do you guys think of this recording package?

JoeDouglas

Hello! This is my first post!
I'm Joe Douglas, I run a modest studio in Bellingham, WA for students.
Bellingham Recording Studio

So I have a big HP Workstation & Pro Tools 7 setup with my Digi002

I was wanting a mac set up too, so I'm thinking about getting this deal
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Apple-MacBook-ProPro-Tools-Recording-Package?sku=502349

I think it would be cool because I'd have a portable option as well. What do you guys think? How are those monitors? Is PT8 good on a MacBook?

Thanks!
~Joe

Where I am confused is what do you think that this would bring to the table? If customers are requiring Mac formatted media and it's a significant issue then I might understand why you might like a Mac, but do you really need to recreate the wheel with the other components?

You are extraordinarily light on microphones and if you have a set of studio monitors you're keeping it a pretty good secret. Were I in your shoes... and I'm hardly an expert here... I'd pop for a small pair of Genelec monitors and expand my mic cabinet before I'd drop $2,300 recreating what I already have.

For mics I'd look to Naiant for small condensers, Studio Projects for large condensers, and Shiny Box for a decent ribbon. I also love the Shure SM7B for voice work.

Luck.

Where I am confused is what do you think that this would bring to the table? If customers are requiring Mac formatted media and it's a significant issue then I might understand why you might like a Mac, but do you really need to recreate the wheel with the other components?

You are extraordinarily light on microphones and if you have a set of studio monitors you're keeping it a pretty good secret. Were I in your shoes... and I'm hardly an expert here... I'd pop for a small pair of Genelec monitors and expand my mic cabinet before I'd drop $2,300 recreating what I already have.

For mics I'd look to Naiant for small condensers, Studio Projects for large condensers, and Shiny Box for a decent ribbon. I also love the Shure SM7B for voice work.

Luck.

Hey, thanks for the advice. I do have some better mics on their way already... probably should have mentioned that. Good point with the monitors too, I have a sound system in there but its not for a studio.

I guess the best way to explain it is that I need a laptop anyway, so I'm thinking buying this package would solve that and also benefit the studio (with the monitors, PT8, and that little mbox thing).
~Joe

Hey, thanks for the advice. I do have some better mics on their way already... probably should have mentioned that. Good point with the monitors too, I have a sound system in there but its not for a studio.

I guess the best way to explain it is that I need a laptop anyway, so I'm thinking buying this package would solve that and also benefit the studio (with the monitors, PT8, and that little mbox thing).
~Joe
Personally I'd just buy the laptop. Those particular KRK monitors aren't all that highly regarded.

Just get a decent PC. There is no reason to get a mac unless you are a Mac person. Spend the rest of some monitors and over the ear headphones.

I might be in the minority here, but I believe a quality strobe tuner should be a staple in every studio. I think there are supposed to be some good software ones that are very inexpensive.

Also, since you are doing a lot of DI rather than micing, what programs are you using? I am using Amplitube 3 and love it. For drums I personally would be looking at Superior Drummer 2.0 or something along those lines rather than using whatever that electronic kit came with.

Just get a decent PC. There is no reason to get a mac unless you are a Mac person. Spend the rest of some monitors and over the ear headphones.

I might be in the minority here, but I believe a quality strobe tuner should be a staple in every studio. I think there are supposed to be some good software ones that are very inexpensive.

Also, since you are doing a lot of DI rather than micing, what programs are you using? I am using Amplitube 3 and love it. For drums I personally would be looking at Superior Drummer 2.0 or something along those lines rather than using whatever that electronic kit came with.

I have more overear headphones than you can shake a drumstick at. I love the new bose 15s! But monitors seem to be the thing I need most, any suggestions?

Back