What do y'all think of this?

nessbass

Hey there!

If you've got a couple of minutes, please go here:

http://www2.mp3.de/musik/bands/de/2/1070?param=1|1

and download one of the songs (yes, they're all in German) from this site. They are all songs I did with my band and I need some help. Well, in fact I need another set of ears and brains (which you hopefully provide) to judge the whole thing.

Here is my problem: I performed on this song (played bass), recorded it, mixed it and tried to add some final touches (I didn't say it tried to master it, for heaven's sake! ;) ). I think that says it all...my objectivity is dead sure gone!

We recorded the songs in our rehearsal room in a bunker (right word?), that means 8" ceiling, and partly carpeted concrete walls. Made a lot of mistakes at that stage, I guess. Mixing and 'final touches' happened in my bedroom. My equipment is more than basic:

PC running at 400 MHz
128 MB RAM
6,3 GB system disk
13,5 GB Harddisk for audio
Audiowerk8
SBLive!
Logic Audio Gold 3.6
Wavelab (old!)
several PlugIns

outboard Behringer 1604 mixer
and Autocom Pro compressor
Alesis MidiverbII (just for monitoring vocals)
Hughes&Kettner CreamMachine for guitar overdubs and general distortion

I use my stereo for monitoring at home. I know, I know, it's horrible. But I know the sound and it works fine for me.

This was my first 'big' recording project. Just let me know what you think of it. Any hints or tips?

thanks for your time,

David.

I listened to the first song.

I think the overall recording qualilty is quite good, especially the bass and guitar. The vocal is too far back in the mix, and is also strained sounding (from a performance point of view). The symbol crashes are late at times (this is also a performance issue).

hey,
I listened to the first song.

great in-your-faceness. I totally love that about it.I agree with lislim. I had problems hearing the vocals. I think the depth levels are good, just that the volume needs to come up a bit.

A very good job.

peace

Hey, thank you for responding, guys!

I know of the problem with the vocals, but we decide within the band that it would suit us better to have them low in the mix. It's therefore not like the commercial standard, and people continue to complain about that. Will fix that next time.

and again, thanks for listening,

David

German?

I listened to the first song...

This is German ? ;)

The chorus sounds like "Isn't it fine!! Fine to whose eyes?"

Do you think this is fair?

Hey, you someone, who has rated this thread with one star: If you don't like the things I'm doing or posting here, then just leave it alone or POST what you don't like about them/me. By rating with one star, you take away every chance of people lending me an ear and giving CREATIVE input.
I DON'T think this is fairplay. If you have to say something, post it.

Damn

who rates posts anyhow.

If I could, I would totally give your post four stars. The songs are tight, the mix is tight, and powerful, etc.

***** five stars

"Gehen" was so good I had to go back for more. Samstagabend sounds like a fun song- wish I understood German.

I like the vocals on "Gehen" just the way they are. You don't have to know what the words are all the damn time any more than you have to go verse-chorus-verse.... assuming that's the artistic angle you were going for-excuse my english: for which you were going.

I'll check out the rest when I have more time.

ATTN. All listeners D/L "Fall"- the third one!

Past my bedtime, but I couldn't resist downloading another one- "Fall." Man this song rocks. Original, but just enough accessability, for the hard/grunge type listener anyway. Love the way it builds.

The mix sounds good except the second verse vocal is too low. I don't think you meant to do it this time since it's inconsistent with the first. Of course the rest of the song is a bit louder at this point, but I personally would still have liked the vocal to match. Sounds like maybe the singer backed off too much somewhere on that first line. Vocal effects are very nice. Background whispering stuff is a nice touch also.

Hate to say it; but, there's something about that guitar sound-the one playing the arpeggio type thing, the guitar in the chorus sounds great- that I don't like. Sounds a little corny. Tone just doesn't seem to match the song. Maybe if it had more nastiness, like maybe with the bridge pickup. But hey, it's your song!

BTW- too bad about Jan Ulrich, eh? I was actually pulling for him despite my being a compatriot of that other guy.;)

Last edited:
I have to thank you all again, guys. I really appreciate your comments.

And thanks for the stars, CyanJaguar.

ap: I think I know what you mean, concerning the verse guitar on 'Fall'. But I don't really see it that way. Maybe a more nasty sound would fit better, but I don't find this sound to be not fitting. Apart from that: The song developed quite a lot while we were recording it, so maybe that's a reason that some things don't seem to fit in the final version.
I din't get what you meant by your Lars Ulrich comment, sorry.

David.

Oops!

Sorry, mixed that up:rolleyes:; didn't mean to offend you. Thought you were talking about the drummer of Metallica, and couldn't get that in any sort of context.

David.:rolleyes:

Back