What do y'all think of this mic?

I don't know anything about microphones beyond "just get an SM58, it'll do anything." But I have some extra cash to spend and want to upgrade. I'll mostly be talking into it but I'll likely sing into it as well. This is what I'm looking at.

Limelight Dynamic

Most XLR mics these days that are over $30 are going to be just fine with some EQ. Ive found I can get my cheaper mics to sound really close in quality to my expensive ones with some EQ added to them. The thing about the expensive mics is that I don’t really have to EQ them. They sound great from the get-go.

Most XLR mics these days that are over $30 are going to be just fine with some EQ. Ive found I can get my cheaper mics to sound really close in quality to my expensive ones with some EQ added to them. The thing about the expensive mics is that I don’t really have to EQ them. They sound great from the get-go.
So, $199 is an expensive mic? I thought that was on the cheap end.

It's made to look like a Electro-Voice RE20/RE320/RE27 broadcast style mic, but I doubt it has the same Variable D feature that minimizes proximity effect. I'd rather get something from a well established brand than something made as a lookalike. If you already have an SM58, why not branch out and get a large diaphragm condenser? You could afford an AKG P240, or get a P220 plus a pop filter.

It appears that 512 audio is the "podcast/streaming" division of Warm Audio. A quick look at the their products shows 2 XLR mics, 2 USB mics and an audio interface. Comparable products would be the Rode Procaster, Shure M7XT and the EV RE320, which is strongly resembles. I've never heard one. One thing I noticed is that they mention that it's tuned for "voice". I can't find any info on the frequency response so I would take that with a grain of salt. Sounds like marketing speak to me.

I guess the first question is what all are you planning to do with it? Run a podcast or Youtube channel? How are you planning to hook it up? Do you have an audio interface?

Just an FYI, Musicians Friend and B&H Photo have it for $150.
--------------
Ray, I just went back to your earlier posts, and your Youtube channel. Based on that, I don't think I would go down the Limelight road. There are lots of other options out there with more proven track records. And it's not because I have anything against Warm Audio. I've got a Warm 47Jr and it's a really nice mic. Its just a bit of an unknown quantity, and I would rather get a few opinions before I sink that kind of money into a mic.

Last edited:
If you don't know anything about mics - start on something almost guaranteed to work for you - the 58 is a sensible and modest price tool that you won't ever get rid of - you just buy more mics, and keep it. If you want to speak and sing - then you need to listen first to see if you can hear the differences.
Here's what a cheap condenser sounds like
https://youtu.be/RKelkvVrhOQ
compare it with the Shure SM7B (and the SM57) in this video https://youtu.be/sqe-2QKALKc - can you hear the differences
- being honest, they're very small and nowhere a sort of 'upgrade' where there is loads of difference - and worse, some people like X and some people like Z

It’s on the midpoint of dynamics, but I don’t see a single review. For the same money you can get a mic that’s well reviewed by a manufacturer that’s been around for some time, like this.

Checking out your Sweetwater link, I saw this bit of information that some may find useful : https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/studio-microphone-buying-guide/

I agree with the others.
57/58 is a can't-lose mic. If you've got one of those then you're covered.

If I was going to add to my collection, in that position, I'd be looking for some microphone with a specific characteristic or reputation, rather than a punt.
People get a MD421 because they know 57/421 is a tried and tested combo on guitars, or an RE20 because they know it's got decades of history as a fantastic broadcast microphone, for example.

Tell us a bit about what you use right now, what you like about it, and what you don't like about it.
Include info about your available preamps and the environment you're in. Well treated? Any sources of noise?
Maybe we can recommend something. :)

If you want an all round dynamic mic then the Beyer M201 is worth a look. I'd agree with the others - stick with a long established mic manufacturer rather than going for something unknown.

Back