what do u guys think about the shure ksm27 for pro male/female vocal for reggae music

djpops

im going full time in the music biz here in jamaica and im looking for a mic to get some vocal recorded. the store im buying from only has the ksm32 and 27. which u guys think is best and tell me u a or ur friends experience with it. u can also tell me about other mics that are great for vocals. im on a budget of $600

Have you done any searches yet 'cause there's already a ton on this out there.

Generally- one would either be looking for mics of good track record as being on the 'neutral side or character' side for vocals, or looking to make the best fit to a particular voice.
In some cases the more neutral ones may be a bit more versatile and the 32's likely that between those two. I have the 32 (but not the 27) and it is very good, versatile has a nice detailed top push. The 27 looks to have quite a larger broader push- but maybe closer to where you might go in some cases any way..?
Is 'reggae a factor -maybe lean more to the 'attitude side of the pick?

..to add; AT4047 another I can vouch for -on the 'character side. 4050 -the 'workhorse? So many options ;)

Last edited:
My biggest concern with it is that it is all surface mount parts, which means if something goes wrong, it is pretty much only serviceable by Shure or somebody really, REALLY good with a soldering pencil, tweezers, and possibly a magnifying glass. That's a pretty big negative for a device that is likely to get banged around a lot like a microphone, IMHO.

Also, IMHO, number of "my KSM died' posts we've seen in the last couple of weeks is in part caused by the use of surface mount parts.

• More prone to solder joint cracking near parts that get warm because the heat is not dissipated as well by the smaller packaging.
  • More prone to complete solder joint failure (less solder = less material that has to crack).
  • More likely to show solder dendrite shorts (dendrites can bridge the shorter distance between contacts faster).

With surface mount parts, there are a lot more things that are critical. Hole-thru parts have physical integrity guaranteed by physical contact between the pin and the hole. With SM parts, physical integrity is maintained by glue (holding the part to the board) and solder, making the strength of that glue and the composition of the solder critical to the product reliability. My guess is that Shure didn't get one of those right, and that one of the solder joints is failing under thermal stress.

My biggest concern with it is that it is all surface mount parts, which means if something goes wrong, it is pretty much only serviceable by Shure or somebody really, REALLY good with a soldering pencil, tweezers, and possibly a magnifying glass. That's a pretty big negative for a device that is likely to get banged around a lot like a microphone, IMHO.

Also, IMHO, number of "my KSM died' posts we've seen in the last couple of weeks is in part caused by the use of surface mount parts.

• More prone to solder joint cracking near parts that get warm because the heat is not dissipated as well by the smaller packaging.
  • More prone to complete solder joint failure (less solder = less material that has to crack).
  • More likely to show solder dendrite shorts (dendrites can bridge the shorter distance between contacts faster).

With surface mount parts, there are a lot more things that are critical. Hole-thru parts have physical integrity guaranteed by physical contact between the pin and the hole. With SM parts, physical integrity is maintained by glue (holding the part to the board) and solder, making the strength of that glue and the composition of the solder critical to the product reliability. My guess is that Shure didn't get one of those right, and that one of the solder joints is failing under thermal stress.
How does that compare to AT's just curious?
(The Shure doesn't fall the f**k out of it's mount llike the AT' LOL! :rolleyes: (FWIW my 4047 has/did survive it's one bounce/shot to the ground ..thank Dog. :)

im going full time in the music biz here in jamaica and im looking for a mic to get some vocal recorded.

...yo Bredren...exactly where in JA are you located?...I work out of a bunch of different studios in JA as well as here in USA...are you buying the mic in JA?..exchange rate still around $70-75 JA?...give me some info, as I might be able to hook up a better deal for you...Raspect, zeen

***been in the reggae biz fa years***

im in Kingston/st Catherine and yes im buying the mic in Jamaica. when u say better deal what do u mean by that? give me some info including where u from

How does that compare to AT's just curious?
(The Shure doesn't fall the f**k out of it's mount llike the AT' LOL! :rolleyes: (FWIW my 4047 has/did survive it's one bounce/shot to the ground ..thank Dog. :)

No idea. I've never cracked an AT mic. I take it your AT mic doesn't have screw threads on the bottom? My AT2020 has screw threads at the top of the thin part. My cheap $20 Chinese shock mount has a ring that screws onto that, thus securing the mic so that it can't fall out....

im in Kingston/st Catherine and yes im buying the mic in Jamaica. when u say better deal what do u mean by that? give me some info including where u from

...Yes I...I'm currently in S.FL, but I am doing some works at World-A-Muzik studios in Ochi (Jack Ruby's yard)...if I come down to JA before Christmas, I could bring a mic down from here (better selection, better prices)...but you might want to contact Gussie Clarke's crew in Kingston because I believe he's distributing pro studio equipment in Jamaica...I just signed one of my artists with Gussie's publishing firm and if I remember correctly, he's now a source for a number of pro audio products in JA (including ProTools)...you can contact me directly at kidvybes@hotmail.com ...Raspect, zeen

Back