what do they mean by "warm"

daryle_ackerman

Maybe I'm asking for it here -- which is in fact why I'm putting this in the newbie section -- but what does "warm" in relation to audio mean? For me, it's always been a relative term referring to temperature, not audio, until recently. As you likely know, it's often used in reference to analog gear and gear with tubes.

I'm guessing it means "more full bodied", whatever that means. Does it mean anything in terms of frequencies? Or, does it change some other non-descript character of the sound?

Please don't mistake me as being someone new to audio, I'm really not. But I've heard and seen this term enough times now to make me think "maybe I'm missing out on something". I've obviously heard recordings done on analog, for instance Genesis' "Invisible Touch" album, which I believe was tracked on maybe two synced 24 track analog reel-to-reels (or maybe just one), but I've never heard myself saying "gosh, that sure *sounds* nice and WARM"!

Maybe some A/B comparisons are in order here. I've also had an acquaintance tell me that he prefers to listen to music on turntable as opposed to CD because the former sounds "warm". Focused listening to turntable-reproduced music is one thing I'll readily admit I haven't done.

Explain away! * ducks *

I maybe be wrong, but when I think of a warm tone, it's something thats soft and smooth. As apposed to a harsh sound.

Warm is one of the vaguest terms imaginable. It's basically used to suit people's purposes when selling gear or extolling the virtues of their recording studios. It's a bit of a red herring to be honest. It's quite an elusive thing that you kinda know when you hear, but basically it's a very movable feast.

I don't imagine that helps very much. :)

Warm, from my understanding, generally means bass (in terms of frequencies, not the instrument) and low-mids. Not overpowering, but not lacking. Or perhaps not too much highs. Just some speculation =]

I've heard the less advanced digital recordings described as not-warm because they lose some of the mids, so apparently, the warmth is in there somewhere.

Daav

warm means it rolls off the harsh high frequencies. so "warm" means it's not overly "bright".

noisedude said:
Warm is one of the vaguest terms imaginable. It's basically used to suit people's purposes when selling gear or extolling the virtues of their recording studios. It's a bit of a red herring to be honest. It's quite an elusive thing that you kinda know when you hear, but basically it's a very movable feast.

That's for sure! I got a catalog in the mail today from Musiciansfriend and just above the Shure SM7B the flyer reads, "Adds Warmth to Vocals." Gee, I thought I needed an expensive vintage tube pre for warmth! It turns out I can get it from a mic and for only $329!

Just bizarre. It's a marketing term! Conning people who are not quite sure what it means into buying gear for a purpose they don't need!

there is a rant about this in the new tape-op, at the very back.

I first heard warm not as a marketing term but in describing different guitar tones. I am not going to attempt to describe it. words like "warm" "harsh" and "crappy" are all sometimes we have to describe the sounds we hear. does someone want to explain to me the meaning of the word "crappy"?

I think of warm as being in the comfort zone, the comfort zone in music would be the range which is easy on the ears. This is just a guess based on opinion, almost as variable as...what's warm to me might be hot to you. Maybe it's a style thing, after all, jazz musicians always want to sound "cool." On the other hand, I always thought of "heavy" an a reference to weight, but we all know what heavy music is. Also "hard" has something to do with texture and I think we all recognize hard rock when we hear it.

OK where did I put that musical terms dictionary?

well, a good way to figure it out is to look at the "opposite" of the word. i think it is safe to say in this case, that the opposite is "harsh".

warm = soft and gooey
harsh = hard and brittle

perhaps it has more to do with the feeling the sound gives you, rather than the physical characteristics of the sound itsself.

Yo Dude & et. al:

I have this ART mic pre and the LED lights have the words, "clean, warm, & clip." As the signal is pushed for LOUDER, the lights flicker up higher and higher towards "clip." So, these terms may mean degrees of volume.

I believe when recording one tries for the best sound his/her ears enjoy. It's like playing hide the button and as a person moves closer to the button, a moderater says, "You're getting warmer...." Who the heck records buttons anyway?

As the DUDE says, these words, and many others, are marketing words. WHY?
Because they're simple and easy for folks to understand but understand what?

Warm can also apply to adding ambience to a track with a touch of reverb, like warm=life, so we try to inject some electrical "warmth" into the track, one way or another.

Well, it was a warm day, and the Oberon tasted wonderful after golf.

Green Hornet :D

Some definitions out of the Thesaurus: pleasant
emotional
sensitive
passionate
put some life into.

I guess I understand the term differently than everyone else. The opposite of "bright" is "dark", not "warm". Warmth is the effect of selective distortion which removes annoying detail from sound, like airbrushing a photograph. When we like that effect, we call it "warmth". When we don't like it, we call it "muddy". It is exactly what vacuum tubes are supposed to do, either in mics, or amps. So my working definition of warmth is subtle distortion, when we like it.-Richie

Richard Monroe said:
I guess I understand the term differently than everyone else. The opposite of "bright" is "dark", not "warm". Warmth is the effect of selective distortion which removes annoying detail from sound, like airbrushing a photograph. When we like that effect, we call it "warmth". When we don't like it, we call it "muddy". It is exactly what vacuum tubes are supposed to do, either in mics, or amps. So my working definition of warmth is subtle distortion, when we like it.-Richie

Thanks, I think that's the answer I was looking for. Good analogy, too.

Richard Monroe said:

agreed.>>>>>>>

Back