What do people here use for DVD ripping?

RWhite

Just curious - there are a lot of comercial & shareware products out there in the Windows XP world. If you want to rip a DVD movie to a AVI or MPEG file (for playing on an IPod for example), what are you peeps using? I'd also like something that can pull individual chapters out of movies.

on the PC side, DVDdecryptor is still available as a ripper. Google it. Its FREE.

For converting, there is a handy FREE tool called SUPER that will change any video format to any other (I use it all the time to convert my vids to iPod). Also great for ripping audio out of video or changing YouTube .flv's to standard video files:
http://www.erightsoft.net/SUPER.html

In theory, there's nothing illegal about ripping a DVD as long as you don't use it for commercial purposes or resell it, or distribute it in some way. At least that's the way I understand it.

I use Mac the Ripper on my Mac, but I don't rip commercial DVD's. The reason is, if I've got the DVD why would I rip it? I just use the DVD itself to view.

But I get video scoring projects on DVD, as it is a very easy format to work with. The editor burns the picture onto a DVD and sends it to me. I rip the DVD and use it as a Quicktime movie in my sequencing software.

So for that, Mac the Ripper is a great thing.

I also use a program called DVDxDV Pro. It's a commercial program, but is great for setting up DV files for use in a DAW/sequencer.

For mac there is a great program called Mac The Ripper. hmm? Did I say that? nothing to see here. *ahem*

Mac the ripper only backup dvd on mac with ".vob".
If you want to rip dvd to other formats such as mp4, you need dvd ripper for mac.

Clone DVD from slysoft.com
Copies anything! Never had a problem. Old movies new ones, everything. I think it cost like $60 for the bundle but well worth it. The free ones don't always work on everything.

I'd second DVD Decrypter. Great stuff.

And for all those Mac 'tards', he said Windows XP, not Mac.

I found that most programs rip to IFO files. Do these mentioned here actually save to AVI or MPEG files. I could really use something like that at work. I am constantly playing DVD's on a standalone player and then capturing them through a capture box and encoding them with software. If I could simply put a DVD into the PC and then specify a chapter or sequence to output as AVI I would be in heaven.

I found that most programs rip to IFO files. Do these mentioned here actually save to AVI or MPEG files. I could really use something like that at work. I am constantly playing DVD's on a standalone player and then capturing them through a capture box and encoding them with software. If I could simply put a DVD into the PC and then specify a chapter or sequence to output as AVI I would be in heaven.

Are you so lazy that you can't click on links people post...:rolleyes:

HandBrake is an open-source, GPL-licensed, multiplatform, multithreaded DVD to MPEG-4 converter, available for MacOS X, Linux and Windows.

Are you so lazy that you can't click on links people post...:rolleyes:

HandBrake is an open-source, GPL-licensed, multiplatform, multithreaded DVD to MPEG-4 converter, available for MacOS X, Linux and Windows.
I guess the programs in the responses seemed more like entire file converters to me and not individual clips.

Back