What do I need!

cj1

Hey :)

I'm completely new to producing music and am after some help on how to progress. Currently I am just recording guitar riffs using Sony Acid Pro 7. I currently plug my guitar into my amp then have a lead running from the line out input into a 1/4-1/8 convertor and into my mic slot on my laptop. The sound isn't great as you can imagine and everytime theres a pause of sound in a riff it starts to make a buzzing noise. I'm looking out for a condenser mic to record vocals and also I've been told Shure SM57 mics are good to record guitar.

I'd be really grateful if i could get some tips on perhaps better software or what equipment i am missing which is essential to record at a decent quality level. Any experience you have which you could pass on would be great as I am looking to take this alot more seriously and have no experience

Thanks,

Curtis

The heart of your problem is that you are using the laptop's internal soundcard to record with (via the mike socket). This is where the poor quality comes from.

You will find yourself unhappy with the sound you get until you get a dedicated recording interface. You plug your guitar, mikes, whatever, into this, and it transfers the sound digitally via USB or Firewire. It becomes your new soundcard.

Thanks for the reply :) Would you be able to recommend an audio interface to me? something that would be good to start out with possibly

Thanks

There are many reasonably priced USB interfaces out there if you just want to record (at the most) two tracks at once. Search for Tascam, Lexicon Lambda, Edirol and similar.

id suggest an interface from Line6 as they are pretty much guitar specific and the Pod software thrown in is of a high standard if you want to try some different effects/amps etc..

here are other interfaces that will do more but the are generally bundled with sequncer programs and you already own Acid..

just my personal opinion

btw i got a toneport with gearbox gold and pod farm platinum from Rainbow guitars online for $69 refurbished...thats close to $800 - $1000 value at one point..great deal

Thanks for you replies :) I've looked into the Line 6 pod Studio GX and it seems amazing for capturing guitar sound with minimal latency. My only worry is whether I could later record drums bass and vocals through this with good quality? or is there certain interfaces that are good for all instruments?

Thanks

Thanks for you replies :) I've looked into the Line 6 pod Studio GX and it seems amazing for capturing guitar sound with minimal latency. My only worry is whether I could later record drums bass and vocals through this with good quality? or is there certain interfaces that are good for all instruments?

Thanks

I'm sure there are better quality interfaces out there though I'm not really qualified to speak on them as the only other experience I have is with my M-Audio Quattro... and it doesn't like Sonar..

I run all my instruments and mics into a 16 channel mixer then into the toneport...works well for what I do but I'm hardly a professional

I'm always balancing cost & quality with immediate needs

I second the line6 stuff...its all around the very best interfaces if you want options and sound quality...I just read a thread in the rack forum where someone is considering paying $2000 for 2 channels of a Neve 1073 clone when the UX2 has a Neve 1073 setting that is quiet...more accurately modeled and matched.

I'm sure there are better quality interfaces out there though I'm not really qualified to speak on them as the only other experience I have is with my M-Audio Quattro... and it doesn't like Sonar..

I run all my instruments and mics into a 16 channel mixer then into the toneport...works well for what I do but I'm hardly a professional

I'm always balancing cost & quality with immediate needs

So you only record live and dont mix using the program?

If you like the mixer preamps...Tascam has a 16 input interface that you can use to track with and you can go in through the inserts...and it is being closed out right now at arround $300.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist.jsp&sku=522886&q=1&Q=add&is=REG&A=cart

Last edited:
The Infamous question of "How much are you willing to spend" always comes into play with these inquiries...I had the presonus firepod for awhile and was very content with it starting out...you can find a similar interface from MOTU and other brands as well...

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/PreSonus-FP10-10x10-FireWire-Interface?sku=242036#used

It'll give you 8 preamps to work with simultaneously and that'll be enough for almost anything you're going to need to record.

Hope this helps,
-Barrett

I think the big problem with a 2 input reccomendation is that it is too limiting and will be tossed really soon in favor of an 8 input...all that equals is money wasted...and the upcharge isnt all that much.

So you only record live and dont mix using the program?

If you like the mixer preamps...Tascam has a 16 input interface that you can use to track with and you can go in through the inserts...and it is being closed out right now at arround $300.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist.jsp&sku=522886&q=1&Q=add&is=REG&A=cart

I do a bit of both to tell you the truth..up until February I only really had experience with some electronic music, manipulating loops etc but I've always had a guitar lying around..

Since then I've been getting more into instruments (hence I've bought 2 basses and 3 guitars since then) it just seems more convenient to have them running through the mixer rather than one at a time through the toneport...does this seem an unnatural work flow to you?

Im glad the line6 interfaces are thought to be decent by someone working in a studio..I've liked everything about mine so far

dunno about the tascam just now...I just bought overloud TH-1 at the weekend :D

I think the big problem with a 2 input reccomendation is that it is too limiting and will be tossed really soon in favor of an 8 input...all that equals is money wasted...and the upcharge isnt all that much.

It's not really a waste of money if your budget is severely limited. It's also a useful training exercise.

Back