What do I need to record at home?

WhitChocolate

I need to know what I need to record at my house. So far I have a Dr Groove 202 Drum Machine. I need to know what all other equipment I need to get so if someone can e mail me or reply to this message thanks.

Uhh.....what are you recording? How many instruments in all?

You can grap your old boombox, hit record, start up the drum machine, and wail on you violin if ya want. That will get recorded. But do you want better quality, better flexability, do you want to record 12 different things?

You need to define your wants better.

I am looking to record rap music and like i said right now i have a drum machine. I am looking to record in my home and at a low cost but i want to get the higest quality of recording. So i need to know what i need to get, and the best way to do all of this stuff. If you can give me some answers let me know.

Sounds like you need one of Dragons tutorials for beginners. Go to www.homerecording.com , this is the main page by the way, and start clicking on stuff. If you don't currently have recording equipment, and have never been an engineer, you have quite a learning curve ahead of you my friend. While it can be fun to learn, recording can also be frustrating at the same time. You will find that you quickly demand more and more from your equipment and want that all that you have may not produce the kind of results you want. Of course this depends upon the quality and complexity you are after.

Good luck.

Ed Rei
Echo Star Studio www.echostarstudio.com

Ask Ken D Webber for a small loan to get you started.
He's got ten million bucks to toss around.

WhitChocolate- what will you be recording? I know you have a drum machine. You are rapping, so you will need a microphone for your vocals. What else will you be recording besides vocals and beats? Will you be working with samples? Other instruments (ie keyboard, guitar, horns, etc)?
It's a hard question to answer (what do I need?)- there are SO many options out there that it can be overwhelming, especially for someone who is new to this.
You can go the free way and tape yourself on a boombox, or you could start a little bit higher by purchasing a four track tape recorder. The quality will be higher, but not of the highest quality. However, it will give you at least a base to start from . From there, you could figure out whether you wanted to become involved in using your computer, or purchasing a larger tape recorder. Or if you just wanted to say "fuck it" and go to Ed's studio :)
Is there a music store in your area? Go there and check out what they have to offer. If a particular piece of equipment interests you, come back here and post what it is (as well as its price). I am sure that you will receive many replies regarding its quality and usefulness for your setup.
So...get to the store, check out microphones and four tracks. Don't buy anything yet. Assuming that the salesperson isn't an idiot, they ought to be able to hook the thing up for you and demonstrate it.
Figure out WHAT you want to record- beats and rhymes only, or other musicians too.
Figure out how much money you can spend right now- I know it sounds like a catch22 - you don't know what your budget is, because you don't know how much it costs, yet if you don't know how much it costs, you don't know what your budget will be. Pisser, huh? Just check it out for now, and that will give you some ideas on the different paths you can choose. I am not saying that the four track is the best one for you, but if you know more about what you are looking for, it becomes easier to find.
Oh yeah, Ken Webber? Search around any of the forum topics, and his name will pop up. He's not a popular guy...well, he IS popular, just not in a good way.
And another thing- my knowledge is relatively small in this area, but there are a LOT of people here who know what they're doing and are more than willing to help (download some of the songs from the MP3 mixing clinic and you'll see what I mean). Good luck!

Duke you gonna need a hard disk recorder FIRST: ADAT/D88 which ever, then you need a sequencer to tighten joints up, but then again you have the MPC, so a few sound modules, and a zip disk to store your joints, you should be ahhh-ite

Look baby you're gonna have to take the plunge like I did and start subsribing to music mags. If you don't read it for yourself it will be like putting money into a well. The drum machine is a start but your gonna have to decide if you want to record with tape or digital. Save yourself some time and energy.(Oh yeah and money too)

To record rap simply but veratile like you need the following

1 Mic
1 Drum Machine
1 Keyboard (to get the basslines)
1 Four track
Cables.

Track 1, the beat.
Track 2, the bassline synth thing
Track 3, the main rap vocal
Track 4, whatever.

You can get all this (you already have the drum machine) for $350 new if you buy the cheap stuff. You can always upgrade.

If you order the Porta2 ($150), the Nady Dynamic Mic ($20), a casio keyboard ($150), an dsome cables ($30) you'll be set up.

Hey Wchocolate,

I hate rap (well not all of it) and if I could I wouldnt be involved with it BUT theres alota money to be made if you live in the right area and have the right connections. Im assuming you wanna put out your own stuff as well as record others so your in the same game as me. Ive been doin this for a while and Ive gotten my name onto lots of rap albums circulating around Philly so if you want any specific advice on equipment ounce you get into it or whatever you can leave a post and Ill answer it or you can email me at dansch19@netzero.net.

90% of what i do when Im not working is record mix and produce hiphop demos and CDs so theres a good chance I can help you with whatever.

Man I was theirand I have a long ways to go but, Get the BOSS BR8 $700 and a good mic used, always look at the used gear (e-bay the best,pawn shop the greatest. With that drum machine your limited to tracks and you cant save to disk(limited space). Get a keyboard that you can run MIDI. If you have about a 1000 to spend then get a workstation,you can get one used very cheap. You have about $2000 go with a used or new ensoniq asr x or asrx pro. Its like a MPC 2000 but it has built in sounds so you dont have to put al the sounds in to the machine like the MPC. The MPC is top of the line its the 90's version of the sp1200( which is a ledgendry Machine for hip hop. Maybe study up on the culture before you get involed then you'll be home free. Get magazine's look for hip hop reviews. I ve been in this for 15+ years and Iam only 23 so thats most of my life, but Ive been a musician since I was 5years old.

Look at hip hop business see what you find!also look up the gear I mention see what they do.

[This message has been edited by hip hopper (edited 03-07-2000).]

Hip hop is easy enough to record on a budget, because a lot of hip hop is mostly done with a synthesizer, giving you a plethora of sounds for a small price...I'm doing it using an Alesis NanoSynth with a cheap MIDI controller keyboard, CakeWalk Pro 8, a Behringer mixer, and a bass guitar (synthesized bass sounds reallly blow...)
Good luck

Back