What do I need to hook up mixer to computer?

thirdrate

Hmm, so I'm getting the Mackie 1202 VLZ-Pro.. What am I looking for that will let me hook it up to my sound cards' 1/8" Line In? Anything else I need?

edit: oh, and if you have reccomendations on a brand and place to get it from, along with other instrument & mic cables, that would be appreciated too.

Yup, I've looked through the debates on here. Some say cables are all sonically similar, others swear by their brand. I'm aware that Monster has 100, 500, and 1000 cables, of different levels of quality, but I'm also aware of their giant price tags. And I really don't like how the 500 series comes with not only instrument specific, but style specific -- I agree with the person that said cables should faithfully transfer sound, and not add or subtract, that should be up to the musician, and that it's probably just marketing hype. It just makes me want to buy Hosa cables, but I'm trying to resist that, because there's a warning not to skimp on cables (ie: one bad cable in your chain, and your whole sound gets screwed up). I am buying some equipment, so these cables add a hefty price: I need a mixer->comp cable, three mic cables (15-20 ft), a guitar cable (15-20ft), and a shorter one (about 3 ft). People reccomend Mogami and Canare, but I wish they were more widely available. Anyone know where to get?

That aside, you're saying that I can get a 2 mono 1/4" --> stereo 1/8"?.. So I don't need a 1/4 to 1/8 thingie?

You talked about a 1/8 in --> RCA female. Do you know if I need this type? Should I just wait to get the mixer and see what I need?

thanks for the help!

Your computer should have a stereo line input, which is a stereo 1/8" female jack. The Mackie has two ways of sendong stereo output to something like that - the main outs, which are L & R 1/4" mono jacks, respectively, and the tape-out, which is two RCA female plugs.

The difference between the two on my Yamaha mixer is that the master fader controls the level running out the main outs, and the tape out is set to what would be the output of the main outs if you set the master fader to 0db. Others can weigh in on which you should use, however, when I am mixing through my Yamaha down to my powerBook, I run the tape out to the line input.

[1/4" male mono x2] -> [1/8" stereo male]:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Live-Wire-3.5M-TRSDual-14-Y-Cable?sku=330481

[RCA male x2] -> [1/8" stereo male]
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hosa-Stereo-Ycable-Mini-MaleTwo-RCA-Males?sku=333055

Back