what did i get myself into

Niimo

i just bought a behrigner mx2442a its so many knobs and inputs and outputs. i thought i had at least a basic understanding of this stuff aparrently not. i can't even figure out where to plug my mr-8 in. help?

Actually, you plug the mixer into the MR-8.

You can go from the 1/4" outs to the inputs of the MR-8...

thanks for holding my inexperienced hand

so just to clarify i'm pluggin from my main outputs l and r on the mixer to the unbalanced inputs a and b on the mr-8. now i read somewhere here that i can't record to all 8 channels of my mr-8 at the same time, is that true if so is there a way to get around that?

Niimo said:
so just to clarify i'm pluggin from my main outputs l and r on the mixer to the unbalanced inputs a and b on the mr-8. now i read somewhere here that i can't record to all 8 channels of my mr-8 at the same time, is that true if so is there a way to get around that?
No, you can't.

If you want to record all 8 tracks, you have to do them one at a time. The only way around that is to record to 2 tracks at a time: 1/2 3/4 5/6 7/8, and use your mixer to get more than one instrument at a time.

Be careful when you do this, you have to make sure everything is mixed properly when you set it up, or you will have problems.

The easiest way is to record one track at a time with the MR-8. Other than that, you have to upgrade to a higher end machine.

i think i have alot of learning to do on the mr8 still, but what would you recomend for a wallet friendly upgrade? pc or maybe a workstation?

Niimo said:
i think i have alot of learning to do on the mr8 still, but what would you recomend for a wallet friendly upgrade? pc or maybe a workstation?
I would see what you can do with the MR-8 before you upgrade. Then I'd look at the VF-160 or 160EX... (Fostex)

Good luck with it!

I am new to this site and I am just as confused as the other person. For all these years I would plug in, and the engineer would tell me that my levels are god and play. I just recently purchased a VF-160 and I have no clue. :eek: I did purchased the dummies book by Jeff Strong and it has eased my mind some sort but I just got to just jump in sink or swim. I am in the market for powered monitors and had thought about the Edirols, but like I said I am new to side of the music. Would be much obliged for any insight. :D

Good luck with your VF160. I've had mine for a month now and am becoming comfortable with it. Once you get the feel for the procedures, it becomes quite easy to use. Make a list of things you want to do and then make corresponding quick flip tabs for your manual. A highlighter is helpful as well. Don't cheese out when you buy your monitors because they are the direct link to your mix and what your ears are hearing. I have Fostex PM 0.5's and love them. They were relatively cheap (299.00) but have a nice flat response. I do mix in a small room though, so you may need more power depending on your situation.

Back