What could be wrong with this Tascam 38?

Bloodbone

Finally got around to messing with a 38 I picked up recently.
The thing I noticed immediately was that when I put reels on the machine,and locked them down with the hubs,the reels scrape on the top panel hold-down screws.
What could this be?
The screw heads don't flush-mount.Should they?
Any chance the top cover is mounted incorrectly,or something like that?
This really surprised me.
Thanks for any advice.

Hello. It's like this:...

Perhaps your 38 got (shipped and/or) dumped on it's face, whereupon the "hubs" may have been bumped down/back into the machine's face. I'd say this is the most common thing you'll hear about, although a "pampered" one-owner Tascam 38 may develop this problem from years of normal use,... where the hubs will loosen up a bit on the motor shafts, and move forward/back.

The fix would first be to give the hub a gentle pull forward, to see if it slides a few millimeters forward, which would indicate a looseness of the hub on the motor shaft. If the hub does not move into it's proper place with a gentle yank, then it may be necessary to remove the top bonnet and front panel to gain access to the set screws, and reset the "reel table" (hub) height.

That's my quick analysis of your problem, from my first hand experience.

Good luck.

;)

I only can tell you based on what I see on tascam 32 (I guess the same as should be on 38 / 34) ... the space between the reel and front panel is about 3/16" ... the screw's heads are above the surface about 1/16" ...so there's somewhat 1/8" space between the reel and the screw head.... planty of space not to scratch even if the reel flange is slightly bent.
Now , I guess you need to look at the reel tables ... how are they? And does the tape path looks aligned - from reel - to t-arms - guides - heads - guide - arm - reel.
I am not sure if the table height can be adjusted on 38 ?... I never tried on 32 , 'cos never needed. I know, as example I can and did adjust table height on my other teac machine... it has special height adjustment screw right on the table.
Guys, who have more experience with 32/34/38 ... speak out ;_)

/respects

hah, Dave ? Do you ever sleep? ;-)
So, David, is table height adjustable on 32/34/38? I guess you need to get inside? oh what? ... It must be so... but as I understand you can not do it without openning up the beast...
/

Yes!!

I work nights & try to sleep most of the day!

The reel table height is adjustable on the 32/34/38 in the same manner. It basically requires that you remove the top/back/front covers to get to the set screws. I've seen where only the front panel could be removed to gain adequate access to the set screws, but IMO it's much easier to remove them all. Beware, though, as removing all the covers will expose the high voltage power section in the middle of the unit!!

:eek:

Thanks a lot for the replies.I was sure hoping it wasn't something like that.
Is there much chance I can get this adjusted correctly myself,or are we talking a trip to a service center?

Most people can to it, DIY-style.

I do stuff like this in my spare time, in the Los Angeles area.

It's a precise adjustment that must be double checked by placing reels on hubs, etc. Nothing nearly like rocket science or brain surgery! ;)

Bloodbone said:
Finally got around to messing with a 38 I picked up recently.
The thing I noticed immediately was that when I put reels on the machine,and locked them down with the hubs,the reels scrape on the top panel hold-down screws.
What could this be?
The screw heads don't flush-mount.Should they?
Any chance the top cover is mounted incorrectly,or something like that?
This really surprised me.
Thanks for any advice.

I had the same problem when mine was shipped to me. The screws actually did loosened up during shipping but they do not sit flush anyway they stick out when they're tightened down. I had to open it up and adjust the reel table by pulling foward. It's just an allen screw that you adjust from the top after you've taken the back off. You need a long allen wrench to get to it.

Back