What console is this?

panax_27

video at 9:21

this console? i see its soundcraft dont know which model it is

the tape machine (studer?)

and the studio monitors in the top left of the screen

thanks very much

Tape machine looks like MCI to me…so does the desk, but I’ll have to look up the type you mentioned…never heard of that before.

I don't think the console is a Soundcraft. Soundcraft made rackmount meters and I believe that's what you're seeing.

It kind of looks like a Trident, but I don't think it is. Knobs don't look right for MCI, but I could be wrong.

I don't think the console is a Soundcraft. Soundcraft made rackmount meters and I believe that's what you're seeing.

It kind of looks like a Trident, but I don't think it is. Knobs don't look right for MCI, but I could be wrong.
yeah its got those colorful colored knobs in the zoom in and i cant find any pictures online that are like that

The tape machine appears to be a Soundcraft 760.

EDIT: If I remember right, the Mk3 (SCM 762?) has a blue front so this would be an older model. They were fairly popular as a budget multitrack in the UK, and were also used by Academy studios in Yorkshire. Bal-Sagoth recorded most of their albums on these, though towards the end it was just tracking the drums and doing the rest in protools. Academy may actually still have theirs: http://www.academystudio.co.uk/equipment.htm

Last edited:
Apparently, the studio is Impulse Studios in Wallsend. However, I can't find any information regarding equipment that they used.

Coincidentally I just happen to have found a Showcase directory from 1996 which has an entry for Impulse Sound Recording Studio in Wallsend which lists the desk as a Soundtracs CM4400, the tape machine as a Soundcraft 760 Series III and the monitors as JBL4430. The contact is Keith Nichol - who turns out to be the engineer on a batch of tapes I transferred a while ago -

After watching some of that video I'm glad I didn't buy one of those when I was looking for a new desk. The routing looks a real pain and only 2 effects at a time is a bit of a limitation. I'm much happier with the A&H that you can see in my avatar.

After watching some of that video I'm glad I didn't buy one of those when I was looking for a new desk. The routing looks a real pain and only 2 effects at a time is a bit of a limitation. I'm much happier with the A&H that you can see in my avatar.
Coincidentally I just happen to have found a Showcase directory from 1996 which has an entry for Impulse Sound Recording Studio in Wallsend which lists the desk as a Soundtracs CM4400, the tape machine as a Soundcraft 760 Series III and the monitors as JBL4430. The contact is Keith Nichol - who turns out to be the engineer on a batch of tapes I transferred a while ago -

Awesome thanks for that info! its been really hard to find any info online the past two years even trying to ask other people such as keith himself

hmm im wondering about those jbls though as the ones in the video at the time dont look like 4430s they look exactly like 4311s unless they changed them

ah i see, do you or anyone know when that console first came out? i found one source that could be mid 80s if so then im not interested either tbh

im wondering if he was using a different console in the late 70s/early 80s because the records then just sounded better to me compared to the recording in that video which was
1986 nothing against keith hes great but i like his earlier work especially around 1982...

any mention of any Seinheiser mics or reverb chambers any chance in the directory? would love to know thanks

any mention of any Seinheiser mics or reverb chambers any chance in the directory? would love to know thanks
No - they only had a free entry which allowed a studio to mention the recorder, mixer and monitors but nothing else. If a studio wanted to publish more information they had to buy a bold entry or a display advert.

You can find more info about old Soundtracs consoles at https://www.studiosystems.co.uk/soundtracs/index.php

Tim Jones is probably the foremost expert on their old consoles.

Back