what condensors for screaming vox??

bfoundation81

ok i have sm57's even got a usa made 57. But i also wanted to look into some condensors for vox and maybe drum overheads too but i want a good condesor for screaming vox!!

I'd go with a ribbon mic for a really loud screamer. And, I'd give him an SM-58 to use as a handheld mic, if he's used to that.

A cool trick I read in a recording magazine years ago was how Tony Visconti recorded Bowie's vocals for "Heroes" because of the wide range of dynamics in the material....whisper to a scream, so to speak. Bowie didn't "scream" but you see the point.

Anyway, he put a close mic and a distant mic up, and put a gate on the far mic and compressed the close mic...so when Bowie goes big in the chorus, the far mic opens and the close mic squashes. It's a very cool technique, and perfect for that emo bullshit. Sorry. :p

I'm not so much a screamer, but I am loud. I have no vocal range. I have had decent luck with an AT4040, and a couple of cheap Nady's that seem to capture my voice pretty accurately, for what I do.

I wouldn't put too expensive of a Condensor in front of the guy...look at some of the typical LDC's that people use for VOX - the V67, the C1, and such...

Jacob

Soundelux U195 has been my favorite for that. Not a super thick scream though. Could maybe post some samples.

Danny

yea i have a studio project b1 and i used the other day for screaming. It dint sit well in the mix but i did some common eq stuff and got it sounding ok.

Anyone ever through a condensor and like a sm57 side by side and let singer scream into both and mix together????

bfoundation81 said:
yea i have a studio project b1 and i used the other day for screaming. It dint sit well in the mix but i did some common eq stuff and got it sounding ok.

Anyone ever through a condensor and like a sm57 side by side and let singer scream into both and mix together????

Try the dual mic and mix thing. Not surprised about the B1 thang...it's not usually a good vocal mic IMHO, the C1 is my more common choice for vocalists. Screaming is still vocals...

jacob

ive used a LDC for screaming vox with the singer about 3-4 feet from the mic and it sounds really good actually. i have a sample of it on myspace. please not that myspace makes stuff sound shitty with file compression, etc...

myspace.com/stolentango

...it's the first song on there

yesterday silen said:
If you will not turn, then you will meet your destiny

Weren't you the guy who put a link up to this website with nothing else somewhere else in the mic board?

What are you doing?

Ben

corso said:
I'd go with a ribbon mic for a really loud screamer. And, I'd give him an SM-58 to use as a handheld mic, if he's used to that.

A cool trick I read in a recording magazine years ago was how Tony Visconti recorded Bowie's vocals for "Heroes" because of the wide range of dynamics in the material....whisper to a scream, so to speak. Bowie didn't "scream" but you see the point.

Anyway, he put a close mic and a distant mic up, and put a gate on the far mic and compressed the close mic...so when Bowie goes big in the chorus, the far mic opens and the close mic squashes. It's a very cool technique, and perfect for that emo bullshit. Sorry. :p

neat trick.

and most people here that are using the b1 or c1 for screaming,
i'd be willing to bet it's a result of lack of mic selection more so than purposeful choice.

Back