What Condenser/Vocal mic should I buy?

OnlyGrace

I'm needing a nice, clear sounding, condenser microphone for my vocals, guitar, mandolin, and violin. I was thinking of the AT 2020, Samson C01,OSP STM-1300, or MXL 2006. What do you guys think I should go with?

I'm needing a nice, clear sounding, condenser microphone for my vocals, guitar, mandolin, and violin. I was thinking of the AT 2020, Samson C01,OSP STM-1300, or MXL 2006. What do you guys think I should go with?

I've only used two on that list (the AT and the MXL), and they both sounded pretty thin to me. If you can afford a bit more, Shure's KSM27 is a good budget-friendly offering.

Frank

The problem is that mics that are good for instruments tend to be less than flattering for vocals and vice-versa. The AT2020 would probably be reasonable for instruments (at least I've used it on Cello with reasonable success), but is not particularly suited to vocal recording, IMHO.

And to throw another option in the midst, check out a V67. I use mine for vocals and for $100 (usd) it's a pretty good mic.

some options

OnlyGrace,

At the low end the MCA SP-1 from PSSL. $40

For a little more money a used Audio Technica AT4054 or a Superlux CM-H8c. Both probably around $150 but you have to work to get a 4054.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

Back