what compressor do you use....

I have a compressor question too... sorry to hijack..

When layering drums, should I compress each one separate...

For example, I have 1 clap, 1 snare, 2 kicks... Do I need 4 compressors?

I use Pro-tools plug-ins for compression......As far as vocals you've got to feel that one out. I layer my hip hop vocals, sometimes twice, sometime with just ad libs, and use reverb. Just a touch, not so much that it has an ols school sound to it. You can't hear it when the track plays behind it, but it helps the vocals blend in with the track......As far as instuments, I route them to an aux track and add compression to that, rather than doing each one separately.

I use Pro Tools plugs also. Focusrite is my favorite. In terms of what seting you use, it's all about how hot you recorded the vocals. If you recorded the vocals low, then your threshold will be different then if you recorded it a high level. But, for hip hop I use a fast attack, and a mid release. I have the compressor at about 6. I use the same setting on almost all vocals. But, you do have to feel what the compressor is doing. You have to make some changes.

For drums, in midi you really don't have to compress each track. Just make sure on the kick, 808, and snare that the velocity is high. If you recorded a live drum kit, yes you will have to compress each part of the kit. You have more control in midi. You can compress the whole drums to even things out to master. But, if you want that kick and 808 to punch through the mix, you can limit or max it. This will make the kick pop out of the mix.

Compression takes time to learn. The secret is to make all your effect and compression NOT NOTICEABLE. Effects like reverb and delay are kind of like icing and sugar on a cake. You might not know what is on the cake, but it tastes so good... :D

Back