What Chorus Pedal Should I Get??

CalebMcC

Regularly I would just research this for myself as Im well aware that the only person who really knows what pedal is right for your sound is you, but seeing as this is one of the less essential pedals for me and one of the last ones i need to complete my pedal board, ive decided to ask which ones you'd recommed. im looking for one with a decent range of sounds without being to generic with the ones it has, and i dont really have money for the $500 ones that ik will actually be the very best. ive looked into Boss Super Chorus, MXR Chorus, and Visual Sound Liquid Chorus, but you can only tell so much from sound clips, reviews and Youtube videos. So which one should i get??

I loved the pedal with 2 different names = same pedal
  • Ibanez CS-9
  • Maxon CS-9

sorry, I never tried the TC Electonic chorus. Currently, I'm using a Zoom G7

God, I tried so many damn chorus pedals (Boss, Digitech, you name it, I tried it!) back before I got my TC (which I never even use anymore, but that's a whole other thing), and none of them could ever compare. Along with the sound of the thing (which is great), it is also quieter than most digital effects out there. You can get away with putting it before a distortion/overdrive/boost pedal, and not get an unusable hum out of the chain.

Hands down, no debate - TC Electronic.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

The TC is nice if you like going digital, but for those that don't want to do the A/D/A conversions...what's everyone's favorite pick for an analog chorus pedal?

Hands down, no debate - TC Electronic.

Absolutely god damn right. Look no further. That is, if you're sure you want a chorus pedal.

The TC is nice if you like going digital, but for those that don't want to do the A/D/A conversions...what's everyone's favorite pick for an analog chorus pedal?

Never really understood this thinking when it comes to guitar pedals... If it sounds good and it behaves the way it should, who gives a crap if it's analog or digital? The only time I care is with delays... but there I have the TC Electronic Nova Delay coupled with an Ibanzez AD9. One digital, one analog... completely different delays, but both sound great.

But IMHO I'd spend the money on a digitech whammy. It's got two chorus settings which sound alright, and then you've got the rest of the pitch shifting functions.

None...

The age of the chorus pedal is over. You all know it, just no-one's game to say it...

You heard it here first! :cool:

What's the deal with Maxon & Ibanez? I have an Ibanez Renometre - (big grey EQ thing with boost & hi boost that needs TWO 9v batteries to go) - I had to open it up tp resolder a battery clips & noticed the board inside is Maxon. Who owns who etc?

Never really understood this thinking when it comes to guitar pedals...

Not looking to get into a digital/analog debate here...I agree that if you are happy with your sound, it matters not how you get it.
But there are guitar players who don't want to have their signal converted to digital and back again before hitting the amp because they can hear a difference in the sound after it's been converted.
Plus...imagine 5 digital pedals strung together…that's 10 conversions total…back-n-forth!

That said...there are digital pedals that utilize parallel processing, that way, your original/dry signal remains untouched, and the digitally processed signal is added to it at the final output.
Those types of digital pedals (and I believe the TC is like that, though I'm not 100% sure) can sound quite good. :cool:
That's no different than what happens at a console...you use the Aux busses to parallel process your signal, but the original signal remains untouched.

I too can hear an all-digital pedal changing the signal, so I prefer to use all-analog pedals unless they are digital w/parallel processing.
YMMV….
Like I said, I agree with...if you are happy with your sound, then the signal chain doesn't need to be scrutinized, but I wouldn’t say that no one gives a crap what type of pedal they use….

I have a keeley hi-fi modded boss ce-2. I absolutely love it. I have used it for years now and would never need to look else where. Very warm and almost boost like.

If you're looking to stay in the budget-friendly price range, I'd say go with whatever one you want. I doubt that it's going to make a big enough difference between Boss, Digitech, MXR, Danelectro, Ibanez, or whatever to make or break the decision for you. Buy the one that physically fits in your pedal board and uses the correct type of power supply jack so you don't have to use a special adaptor or wall wart just for this one effect.

It's kinda funny, for about 1/2 the price of that TC Electronic chorus pedal, you could buy a TC Electronic G-Sharp, which includes a couple of choruses plus a dozen other effects and a dozen reverbs. The G-Sharp's chorus sounds fine but it's not world-class or anything. But for $150, it's a steal if you want reverbs, delays, phasers, flangers, etc. all in one unit to stick in your effects loop.

I recently bought a used Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble for $35 from a hard-up Craigslister. It's a reasonably good sounding pedal, and one thing I like about it is that there is a wet/dry FX level adjustment that lets you insert just a hint of the effect, helping thicken your sound a little without being overly intrusive. (My old Boss CE-3 chorus does not have this feature, and when it's on, it is really on.)

Also, at the max LFO rate you can get a very nice almost-rotary-speaker sound.

If you keep on the lookout for used pedals you can experiment with little risk.

OTOH, you could just get your lazy ass over to the nearest Guitar Center and demo a few. :D

BTW, an Eventide Mod Factor is on my short list of upcoming pedalboard acquisitions. Expensive but very versatile.

I have a keeley hi-fi modded boss ce-2. I absolutely love it. I have used it for years now and would never need to look else where. Very warm and almost boost like.

Interesting. I'm considering having my CE-2 done by Keeley. Did you have yours modded and if so, how quick was the turn around?

and one thing I like about it is that there is a wet/dry FX level adjustment that lets you insert just a hint of the effect, helping thicken your sound a little without being overly intrusive. (My old Boss CE-3 chorus does not have this feature, and when it's on, it is really on.)

That's definitely a must-have feature with an effect like chorus. Too much can really be a bad thing. When used subtly, chorus can do great things for both clean and distorted guitars.

OTOH, you could just get your lazy ass over to the nearest Guitar Center and demo a few. :D

Great advice. Nobody knows but you which one is going to be the best for you. Maybe the cheap-ass Danelectro or Behringer ones are going to be good enough for your needs so you can afford to buy a fist full of narcotics on the way back from Guitar Center. Or maybe the T.C. Elec. one will wow you to the extent that you will save up for months (or just jack your narcotics dealer on your way to Guitar Center).

I guess what I'm getting at is...um...do narcotics. Then you might be able to hallucinate the chorus effect and save all that money you'd have spent trying to emulate what your ears can hear when supplied with hallucinogenic substances. Of course, this might prove to be problematic during live performances since you'll be the only one hearing the effects. Well, you might be able to get bulk prices from your dealer and supply the whole auidence with drugs. Or you can invest it in some research and development on ways for everybody to hear what's going on in your head. If you're still reading this, then I'm kind of worried about you. Anywho, to sum up: Sailor Jerry makes a damn good spiced island rum.

I recently bought a used Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble for $35 from a hard-up Craigslister. It's a reasonably good sounding pedal, and one thing I like about it is that there is a wet/dry FX level adjustment that lets you insert just a hint of the effect, helping thicken your sound a little without being overly intrusive. (My old Boss CE-3 chorus does not have this feature, and when it's on, it is really on.)

Also, at the max LFO rate you can get a very nice almost-rotary-speaker sound.

the level feature is something I like about Boss pedals. It's on my DD3 too, and running them through an fx loop gives you alot of control over the wet signal.

I have the CE5 too, picked mine up on eBay for very little too. I think it's a fine pedal, you're right about those extreme sounds. I tend to use chorus sparingly most of the time, just a touch to liven up a clean sound.

What's the deal with Maxon & Ibanez? I have an Ibanez Renometre - (big grey EQ thing with boost & hi boost that needs TWO 9v batteries to go) - I had to open it up tp resolder a battery clips & noticed the board inside is Maxon. Who owns who etc?

Maxxon licensed them to Ibanez for sale in the US.

Back