What chord is this?

I only like the chords that don't sound good. This is just a fourth, how bad could it be? My personal favorite is A-Bb-B, on strings 4,3,2; or as I call it, the fire alarm chord :p

I don't even know if this can be called true in the strictest sense, but it's hardly true in the practical sense.

If you ask 100 musicians what chord C-E-G is, they're all going to tell you "C major" (or just "C") if they know any theory at all.

It's true in the strictest sense, because C-E-G can be called three different things, depending on whether you define the C, the E, or the G as the root. Granted, in that simple example it would be silly to call it anything else but a C chord, but when you go off stacking thirds, etc. with the root not necessarily on the bottom, things are not so clear cut.

As has been pointed out already, he was only referring to the 2 fretted notes and not the open strings, but I just thought I'd point out one thing in reference to your post.

The chord would be a Cmaj9, not a Cmaj7(add 9).

Cmaj9 implies that you have a 7th. You use "add 9" when there's no 7th.

You are correct by common notation. One of the things that I have learned over many years though is to study the piano chart because what is notated in the chord symbols isn't actually what is being played. The reason why I wrote it that way is for clarity you would be surprised at the number of people that don't know that. In many cases I will notate C7+4 instead of C7b5 depending on the way the harmony is moving.

Back