What CDs do you consider great mixes for reference?

Some of it changes from day to day, depending on what I am in the mood for. Lately it has included the new Peter Gabriel (Up) and the new Joan Osborne (How Sweet it is). If I don't have any clients around who will be offended (or if they share my taste in music) I will listen to Soundgarden, NIN, or the Foo Fighters (The Color and the Shape, the best record Dave Grohl has ever made, and I am including all the Nirvana stuff). Also anything mixed by Tchad Blake.

Then there is the one that never changes, because something has to be the same from day to day. You gotta figure out where your ears are every day, after all.

Joni Mitchell - Turbulent Indigo

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Wait wait wait!!!!!!

I want to sound professional too!!!!!

Steely Dan - Aja or Gaucho

Why is it that no matter what show I am working on, the sound guy HAS to listen to Steely Dan. I don't mind much, as I do like the Dan, but come on man.

I was working an Oak Ridge Boys show, and the entire sound check was the band playing Steely Dan songs. The WHOLE damn thing. The engineer listened to Gaucho for a little bit, turned it off, and the band started playing "Deacon Blues". They played about 20 minutes of Steely covers, and that was the sound check. Now, this was on there own board, so they were only tweaking it to the house stacks, but it was a little strange to me.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

The Who: QUADROPHENIA

Bowie: Low
McCartney: Tug of War & Pipes of Peace
Any of Bowie's 5 latest abums.
U2: All You Can't Leave Behind
Ramones: first four albums
George Harrison: All Things Must Pass.;)

john hiatts greatest hits
joan osbornes relish
elo eldorado
the beatles abbey road....if my mixes sound like this one then i'm there............

Back