What can I say.....New song

moptop

Please give me your feedback on this one. The music came easily but the words were hard to come by.

Thanks all.

Sounds good here, good song, I thought it was arranged and recorded very well. I think the main vocals could come up a bit, they seem a little hidden. The crash on the drum doesn't sit well with me, it sounds kind of like a whip crack.

I like your vocals and the harmonies sound really good. Everything has clarity and can be heard distinctly. Not crazy about the drums. They sound like patterns pre-recorded in a keyboard. The crashes should be changed or adjusted.

Nice song, and the vocals and harmonies sound nice. But .. yeah ... wow ... what drum machine is that? I could tell right away they weren't real drums, but when that first crash came, I didn't even recognize what it was! It wasn't until I heard it a few more times that I realized it was supposed to be a cymbal. :) I'm guessing that's a fairly old drum machine or drum sounds from a fairly old keyboard workstation/etc. Having said that, the electric piano tone sounds very dated as well (IMHO).

The guitar and bass sound great and very clean.

To me, the arrangement could also use a little sprucing up. For example, the bridge sounds very similar to the verses right now. After the intro, the song pretty much doesn't do anything different arrangement-wise and therefore gets a little monotonous to me. It's a nice tune, but it's a little one-dimensional right now to me.

I agree with beagle. Some kind of change-up is needed. It could really use a chorus. The vocals don't seem very enthusiastic, which adds to the feeling of monotony.

Nobody's mentioned it but this is really heavy on the bass for me. There is a chorus thingy there but a middle 8 would kick it up a notch maybe.
But on the positive side, this is a great song, catchy, great vocals and has a sort of retro 60's style but unique in it own way. Good stuff! :D:D:D:D

It is bottom heavy.
Better drums would make a whole world of difference.
The bvox seem to sell the song better than the main vocal.
Listen to Gilbert O'Sullivan's Alone Again for a sense of sadness while pushing a more up feel to the song musically.
You do need to differentiate the verses & chorus musically - try varying the arrangement more.
Def. worth working on.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. Yes, I know my drums are the weak link in my recordings. I use the drums sounds from my keyboard. You have to consider that I am not a pro and don't do this for a living. It's purely a hobby for self enjoyment so I use what modest (and dated) instruments and equipment I already have. I do use Beatcraft for some of my drum tracks and that improves their sound a lot having an endless supply of drum samples to choose from. I also use a trick I learned many years ago of playing the drum track through a stereo and miking the speakers and swinging an third overhead between them. That "smooths out" the pattern and adds a "live performance" room effect to it. It also gives you the chance to add any other percussion like tambourine, shakers, bongo's and the like for a more human feel.

Hey Moptop, we all use what we have at our disposal...nothing wrong with that. I have recordings I did the exact way back in the 90's. Wasn't great, but it worked and it helped aid my songwriting. If your using a DAW and every have some extra money laying around I would suggest looking at Addictive drums. Although still programmed, it will be a night and day difference in your sound.

Back