What Can I Do ...

boydrj

To make this one better? I tracked this a while back and thought it sounded alright, but I think it is in need of something...

I definitely need to find a new vocalist (I'll just put that one right out there) but since I don't have anyone around to sing for me, I have to go through this torture.

Anyway, any mix/arrangement/advice in general would be helpful.

The song is called Stuck In A Timewarp:

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1483&alid=-1

Thanks for helping out!

:)

This mix is really top-heavy, and the vocal gets lost in all the crispy stuff.

The rythym section has no punch. Not that it should have a lot on something like this, but it would be nice to at least be able to hear the bass & kick drum.

:D

I agree with the top heavy comment...pretty crisp up there but it could be exaggerated by the fact that you have NO lows.LOL...if you'll throw some bottom end into this mixx it will shape up pretty well without having to reduce any of the highs IMHO.

Nice 60's Beach Boys Flavor to this one.

I'll be the third to say lots of highs in there - very first thought that came to me as it started playing.
You might want to retrack the bass and just play your ass off. It needs more conviction - try putting every note the slightest bit before the beat to give it some drive. I'm guessing synth bass on this and that's why you kept it low?

I love all the sounds in there that give the mix depth, yet you managed to keep an overall simple feel. Great arranging!

Your voice is fine. Maybe heavy on the hi-mids, but the vocal quality works.

Love the outro. Nice touch. Cool tune too.

Thanks!

MBrane -- Thanks man! I'm going to re-track the bass on this. Thanks for helping!

Kramer - Thanks for your feedback! The bass is definitely going in for a major overhaul! Thanks man!

fprod - Thanks! There is that bass/low end thing again. I was trying out a different bass pad and it didn't work, so I'll need to go back and fatten it up. This is one of those that I thought was done, but upon further listening, decided it needed something more ... punch from what I've gotten here!

Thanks all!

While I do agree about the lack of bottom end, I do have to wonder - is that the sound you were going for?

It does sound like a 60's AM sound. I just put it up against 'wouldn't it be nice' and 'god only knows' from the Pet Sounds CD, and the bottom end was pretty similar. Actually you had slightly more.

Anyway, I REALLY like this one. I relate to the song very well. Like the overlapping vocals.

Downloaded the MP3, and it sounds like everything is in it's right place, in relation to that older sound. I would guess that it sums to mono nicely? Would like to hear a higher bit-rate version - your bitrate is really fooling my Winamp - the bitrate number is jumping all over the place.

No negative comments from me, really, except that more backing vocals might suit your genre better.

Thanks Eric! I love the Beach Boys as well, and especially the Pet Sounds/Smile era...Very very cool stuff!

I just thought it was missing something and I think a little bit more bottom end may create a better balance, but I do agree with you on how those old Brian Wilson records were mixed.

Pretty interesting really since Brian always went on and on about how much he loved the bass sound on certain songs. Usually he buried the bass pretty deep and made you have to search a bit to find it.

Thanks for your comments, man!

I think maybe it's a problem not so much of the low end being insufficient, but of the high end being out of control. Listening between the sizzling, I think this is not badly balanced - some *subtractive* eq would help tame the high end, and then I think you'd have a neat tune here. Cool "summer sun" vibe to this.

Chris

I wasn't expecting anything like this. This is pretty cool!

I think the vocals could come up a bit without eating the mix. I couldn't make out a kick drum either.

Cool sounding tune.

Waaaaaaaaay too much high end stuff here. The low end needs some balance. I'm not saying to pump it up all crazy but try to listen to some old records for a good idea of frequency balance to shoot for.

No kick and the bass has no balls.

I dig the song though...fix it for us please.

Thanks!

Great feedback, and definitely helpful!

Groucho -- Thanks man! That is one of my downfalls when I mix. I get the balance between the highs and lows all messed up, and what sounds balanced one day sounds messed up the next! Thanks for the feedback! -- btw -- I wanted to listen to your tune, but I can't stream in hi-fi very well...I tried though! :)

Jake -- Your opinion matters since you are one of the most honest I have read around here. Thanks! I will definitely revisit and tweak this thing. I must get this right! :)

Shack -- Thanks for taking the time! I've got to revisit those highs and lows!

Thanks to all that took the time to take a listen and/or respond!

Back